Freestyle Manuever Help

One less?
So Pag,

From the tone of your note, should I tell the caterer know you won’t be joining us or should we save some empanadas for you? :slight_smile:

Oh, a comment about too much heel resulting in out of boat experiences; as of this morning I tested the Hudson temperatures with a faceplant and can say that brisk is putting it mildly. Big splash!

See you on the water,

Marshall

The River Connection, Inc.

Hyde Park, NY

Www.the-river-connection.com

How many fish did you count?

Hi Marshall…
In a previous post to Glen you used the term " our symposium" and I can see now that you used those words in the generic sense and not that you and he were planning the event. You are obviously and good sport and I will from this time on not mingle your approach with Glen’s. Sorry about the misunderstanding.

I can’t tell if this is an invitation to instruct at your event or not :-)), but in any case I have committed to the Adirondack FS Symp. in July and one trip from LA to NY a year is enough. Please inform your caterer accordingly.

Pag

Sturgeon I hope NM

Hatfield, McCoy, canoeing, kayaking
Now that food seems to have calmed the waters, I must say that I have been surprised by some things.

First, I now detect some sort of Hatfield vs. McCoy mentality swirling under the waters of ACA canoe instruction. If that is the case, it frankly wouldn’t surprise me. But I have no knowledge of it, want no knowledge of it, don’t participate in it, and won’t participate in it. I will support any paddling business that provides products or services I consider worthy, and I may criticize those I don’t.

Second, I had thought of the River Connection’s PowerUp Symposium as solely a kayak event. In that respect, the public part I saw two years ago was superb. I don’t recall the name of the excellent kayak instructor, but he had everyone sitting on the ground with kayak paddles doing clever exercises, except for one old guy who wouldn’t touch one. I learned a lot from him about so-called “torso rotation”, which has helped me form my own opinions of how his pedagogy and terminology could better apply the misunderstood torso rotation concept to kneel canoeing.

As to kneel canoeing – my primary paddling interest – one of my quirks is that I am very reluctant to acknowledge that canoeing can be fragmented into things called “freestyle canoeing”, “sport canoeing”, “Canadian style canoeing” or “quiet water canoeing”. I believe canoeing is simply one unified discipline. I further believe that it is counterproductive to fragment canoeing into artificial boxes at the pedagogical level or even at the terminological level. I’m not opposed to terminology; I’m opposed to the way some canoe modernists unconsciously employ fragmenting and “boxist” terminology. Those beliefs sometimes drive me to spoof terminology, as in my Karen Knight “canoeing” post above. If that came off as as offending anyone personally, I hereby apologize for poor rhetorical execution.

If there’s a low carb menu, I may change my mind.

Wedge AKA Flying Lesson
The first time I tried Freestyle was a class with Karen.

I tried the wedge, the boat turned, I kept moving forward…rapidly… and the boat and I parted company.

Been trying to recapture that excitement ever since.