Freestyle Paddling Techniques

Wenonah Black Light
I just made a referral to a friend about the Wenonah Black Light Straight paddle. It is on sale at Piragis Outdoors for $127.46. I paddled with Charlie’s Grey Owl carbon freestyle paddle and looked at one a buddy recently bought and can see no differences other than the t-grip on the Wenonah. They are both made off-shore and I suspect they may be the same paddle.

All Charlie’s comments about the Gray Owl are spot on.

cross-section shapes
I have several Grey Owl FS wooden paddles and Pat Moore Cues and the cross sectional shape is pretty thin from the throat down. I can’t seen to find a side elevation view of the Grey Owl Carbon or the Wenonah Black Lite. I’m thinking these are thicker below the throat than the previous versions mentioned above. I would really appreciate a contrast of this aspect. Thanks.

Grey Owl vs Cue
The edges on the new Grey Owl are definitely thicker than a cue, and are similar or a bit thicker than a Grey Owl FS. I’ve never had a Grey Owl carbon in the water so I don’t know how well it slices compared to a cue but I know you don’t need edges as fine as a cue to have a great paddle that’s clean in the water.