freshwater kayak fishing (what boat)

Tarpon 120
Its a real nice boat I agree. Most everyone likes 'em.

Faster turning
Some of the water I fish gets pretty narrow and requires some quick turning. Two feet less can make a difference. I agree with what you say about the Tarpon 120, but am still interested in the 100 for the slight advantage in turning. Besides, I already have a 12’ SOT.

• Big D

Kayak Fishing-Freshwater
I use a Perception Sundance airlite (12’) most of last summer and it works just great. Previously I bought a OTC 12’ Dirigo and although stable, I found it slow. The Sundance gives me the speed I wanted and has tons of room. I will be adding some rod holders and tie downs for an anchor but I am completely satisfied. One thing, it is not a good kayak to be caught out in rough weather.

Crossover
Update on the Crossover. I’ve paddled it twice now and its very nice but I wouldn’t recommend it as a fishing boat. With its flat keel, its just too maneuverable and holding a straight line drift after putting the paddle down is tough. On the other hand, its stable and comfortable, but the factory backband is junk, as has been noted in most of the reviews. Its fine and well made, but a little too maneuverable for me. I’ve got it up for sale now, so won’t be putting up an actual review in that section. If it doesn’t sell, I’ll still make it work because its got plenty of storage in the back for camping and I know it would make me a better paddler. Straight line tracking is fine while paddling, but the hull that makes it turn on a dime will spin it some when you stop.

Chuck

It depends on my mood
and whether I am solo or not. My options are:

Solo: Old Towm Loon 138, Wenonah Vagabond or Old Town Pack

Tandem: Nova Craft Bob Special or Old Town Penobscot

All will get wet throughout the year at some tome or other!

I’ve added an Old Town Loon 138 to
my fleet and love its stability, true tracking, and comfort, as well as all the room. Negatives, its a bit heavy to take down and put back up on the truck racks and it turns much more like my F150 than my wife’s Sentra. Still have my Necky Sky, a very stable small kayak, and my Mohawk 17ft canoe which I never use, but may soon as my grandson is almost three.

wilderness systems
i use a wilderness systems pamlico 14.5, its a special yak sold by bass pro shops somee years ago. has a battery box ,12 volt trolling motor and foot brace steering so you can fish while motoring back up stream to drift back through a sweet spot and when done fishing i can motor back up the river to the truck! dont try to find one as wilderness systems made as a special for bass pro, they dont even have parts available. anyway its doing the job for me. Thanks, riveredheads

What Kayak?
I purchased Dirigo from Old Town, I love this kayak. It is a loon made into a fishing kayak.

Take a look at it on-line you will see what I mean.