Funny boat names

back in the day
back in he day when I had a sailboat there was a sloop a few slips down named “sailbad the Sinner”. was very accurately named.

Back in the 60s
Some kids would name their cars, especially the “bad” ones. They would paint the names on the cars so you would know who beat you on the street.

Then the AC Cobras came along and names didn’t matter anymore… nothing was badder than the Cobras.

Gracias, Kudzu!
(only someone familiar with Paul Bunyan – and old Volvos – gets that one.)

Before it earned the “Darth” moniker, the black Volvo 850 wagon was “Vrankenbrik”, a quasi-Swedish allusion to Frankenstein, since it had so many replacement parts.

stickers
I order auto grade letter transfer name stickers for my kayaks from RapidVinyl on Ebay. Pretty cheap, easy to apply and very durable. They have a couple hundred fonts in many scaled point sizes so you can design whatever you want.

like it, Castoff!
A good Subie is as precious as a ruby. But a bad one (like my last, the 2002 Outback) can be a sucking vortex of mechanical horrors and expense.

My first Subie (a 1978 DL 5-speed wagon) was perhaps my favorite car of all time. Pure white, I named her “Frigidaire” because her air conditioning was divine. I was a working commercial construction electrician at the time and driving that car home after a steaming summer day of hard labor was like diving into a mountain spring.

funny name

– Last Updated: Oct-03-16 5:40 AM EST –

Abe the Blue Box. If you need any kayak or fishing gear, check it out here: https://www.carid.com/fishing.html

Speaking of…
“a sucking vortex of mechanical horrors and expense.”

While looking for a used sailboat I was informed about just such a possibility. I was told “a used boat is often a hole in the water that you throw money into!” I was advised to spend a bit extra and buy a newer boat that has already depreciated, and avoid the old fixer uppers. Having bought all my kayaks used and all but my first canoe I did not realize just how low maintenance our paddle craft really are.

can you get a parts discount?

I suppose if it had…
…broken down quite regularly, leaving her to walk home, she might have named herself, “Appalled Bunions.”

rented a coleman
named

Godam MFing SOB

SOFARSO
GOOD

A friend who’s a (VERY responsible) boater, divet, and AVID angler, and has had a power catamaran for more than the decade we’ve known him. In retirement, he’s living off his self-managed investments.

He named his boat “Reel Options”.

Our CX-5 has made a counterclockwise circuit of the eastern US on our Annual Summer Swing, and has gone down to the Keys seversl times as we’ve played tour guide squiring several waves of family and friends who’ve stayed with us when visiting from afar (right, Greyhawk?; right, Celia?), and is halfway to Tampa this weekend as Sally drove herself and three friends for a west coast retreat getaway.

And, SOFARSOGOOD…!

Actually, our cars have been traditionally, albeit rather unimaginatevly, called The Big Car and The Little Car, as we’ve always managed to have, well, a big(ger) car and a little one… Go figure…

We’re happy with them (our new CX-5 and old 3) -and their unimaginative names -as long as they can tote us, my golf clubs, and most especially, our boats and gear as we

PADDLE ON!

-Frank in Miami

I know of a big motorboat on …
…Lake Michigan that is named “PECFA”, for Petroleum Environmental Cleanup Fund Award (if you haven’t heard of it, google it). People in the right line of work made their fortunes off PECFA in the 1990s. The guy named his boat after the source of the money that bought it.