gear on deck?

and then there’s the helmet
My current best place is WAY in the back and I have a friend get it when I need it. This way I can self rescue just ahead of it. I find too close in front and my paddle hits it. Right behind me is handy, but not so nice for rescues. No real room in my cockpit which otherwise would be my choice. Otherwise I just have my gps and camelbak on deck (pump, etc. being inside the cockpit).

Packing smart
and paring down gear goes a long way. Decide what you need vs what would be nice to have along. Don’t know how LV your boat is, but I can pack for a long weekend and have room left over in my Avocet. If you must have a deck bag at your fingertips, I’d go with nothing larger than North Water’s Turtle Back deck bag, especially for ocean. Or consider their Under Deck bag.

some helmets fit day hatches
My Gath Gedi (size large) just fits into a Valley day hatch.

i have a day hatch, so
a bag under the deck won’t really work…i think i am all set for now though, w/out anything but the bilge pump,paddlefloat, paddles and sponge on the deck and compass. i would rather keep it paired down and clean on top.

probably fine
I agree with the other you can put some gear on the deck. I had my sleeping pad on my back deck at the start of a 10 day trip down the Columbia - stuff that wouldn’t fit into my Looksha IV (which is more HV than LV). Also had a clear dry bag with a solar charger on the back deck the entire trip.

Not sure about the bungee you talk about, but make sure there is a secure connection. I used the bungees on the back deck, along with a tie down line to the secure straps that hold the rear hatch on as a backup.

Stick lighter stuff up there, and heavier stuff lower down in hatches (and closer to center of boat).

Also try to figure out how you can get it off your deck as you get further into the trip (and consume food/drinks, opening up space).

Don’t forget to look at the space in front of your foot pegs (in the cockpit) to see if there is room. had room for a medium in front of my girlfriend’s feet in her Chatham 16 (a relatively LV boat, with skeg).

i did look in front of the footpegs and
because i am short that works also. i won’t be needing the netting now that i have a new sleep pad and bag…but if i do i really long trip it is an option.it’s nothing to stuff away. i was thinking more of putting a camel pack and that sort of thing under it any how. but believe i am all set now. thanks for sharing your tips. :slight_smile:

CamelBack
I have run CamelBaks under the standard bungees that come with most boats - that works fine.

Windage
I think Steve hit on something that is very important and needs to be highlighted: the effect of stuff piled on top in a crosswind (or headwind or quarter wind or tailwind…) It’ll really change the way your boat handles and could turn a nice, neutral boat into an evil beast; especially if you like efficiency and don’t use a rudder a lot (or don’t have a rudder).

As others have said, keep the heavy stuff down in the bottom and keep the rear deck clear; you’ll need that space if you have to do a rescue. But of course that means that the gear has to go on the foredeck and THAT means a boat with a strong tendency to head downwind. “Light and low” is the mantra.

Me, too . . .
. . . one of the unbottle? three liter.

you must have an extra large hatch
I have a recent Valley Aquanaut and the day hatch is too small for any helmet. I know because my bare head wouldn’t come close to entering the day hatch. That would be sweet if the helmet fit.

breaking the bank

– Last Updated: Sep-11-09 7:28 AM EST –

I hear you about investing more money in smaller high-tech gear and breaking the bank, but that's the way to go in the long run. You have to take the long view and build up your gear over time. A down bag is expensive but will pack down to the size of a loaf of bread or smaller without suffering. Synthetic bags are bigger and heavier and lose loft over time (and with it, their temperature rating). If you live near an REI, they usually have a clearance sale once or twice a year where you can pick up returned gear for cheap (I got a+15° Big Agnes Lost Ranger down bag for about $40). If money is an issue, that's the way to go. Get a dry compression sack and you're good to go! You just have to follow sales like a hawk.

If you're just boiling water (i.e. reconstituting freeze-dried food), another way to save size/weight/money is to go with a pop-can alcohol stove. I got mine for $10 online (minibulldesign.com) and get 6-minute boil times--not bad for something the size of a tennis ball that weighs 1 oz.! ;-) Or do it yourself for free (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fStsgTremmI)!

Have a nice trip!

lawn chair
I put a small folding (in a bag) lawnchair on my rear deck. Got to have comfort on a trip. If your going to have gear on the deck try to keep it light and low.

RR

Good grief