gel coat maintenance...

Polish vs. wax
Polishes and waxed behave differently.

Simplest way I’ve heard it explained is waxes bead water and polishes cause sheeting - which is better for speed.

Personally, I polish (non-abrasive, made for composite hulls) - but only rather infrequently and mostly for better cleaning (and stays cleaner longer after).

http://tinyurl.com/yaqsfw

For better speed - train harder. “Wax on, wax off” type training does not count.

for starters…
Bell Canoe works:

Do NOT wax your Bell canoe. Wax slows the hull on-water, and encourages road oil build up.

Oldtown canoe:

We do not recommend waxing your hull with a paste wax, such as most car waxes. …

Frontenac Outfitters: does NOT recommend waxing your boats hull. …

wenonah: Waxing isn’t going to do anything in terms of protecting your boat, …

…so, it’s not only my personal opinion and experience…

Sea Kayaker
I appreciate your comments. As an owner of a vehicle with 400k on it’s original, non-re-built engine, I “get” the idea of maintenance. Brian, like me I think, views a kayak as a tool to be enjoyed and used. I see people all the time freaking over their kayak. I’ve owned many, and even get paid to destroy them as a testing practice. It comes down to balance, like most things in life eh? Don’t sweat the scratches…Gel coat is not forever, but easily fixed.

Who’s “rich and busy”

– Last Updated: Nov-09-06 9:44 AM EST –

I'm certainly neither, I just have different priorities.

The car-to-kayak comparison really doesn't hold water (pun intended). A kayak has few - if any - moving parts. It doesn't require fluids, lubricants or regular replacement of consumable parts to maintain its functionality. As long as it has structural integrity, it works fine. It won't rust away if its finish is allowed to weather, so even the most horribly neglected fiberglass kayak can be brought back to near showroom condition at any time, if one is willing to invest the time and effort to do so. An ugly, weathered kayak works just as well as a new one, so maintaining a kayak's appearance is more a matter of pride than of need. Besides, even a faded. scratched-up kayak looks pretty good when it gets wet.

I'm not criticizing you or anyone else who lavishes TLC on their boats, just pointing out that if you don't want to, there's no pressing need to. In fact, you're the kind of people I like to buy used boats from. ;-)

this reminds me

– Last Updated: Nov-09-06 3:06 PM EST –

...of the guy who trailers his new car to the car show, and spends the sunny time washing, waxing, armoralling, rinse and repeat; and the rainy time fretting over how best to get his queen into the trailer without removing the various tarps and umbrellas set up to completely preserve the most recent washing, waxing, and armoralling. All while wearing a non-scratching coverall made of some feminine shammy material in a color that matches his queen.

Basically I think we're talking degrees of maintenance here, not neglect, and cars vs. kayaks isn't really an accurate analogy.

What is reasonable maintenance on kayaks? On mine, a heavy composite brit boat built to last - and paddle of course - I consider:

Cleaning scum or seaweed
Cleaning cockpit to keep from retaining moisture
keeping the skeg in tune
tightening or replacing deck lines,bungees, grab handles
checking (and replacing if necessary) hatches
repairing structural damage
proper storage

I'm sure I'm forgetting something and equally sure someone will jump in and let me know. Point is, I don't want to buff and shine, that isn't required to me any more than what the trailer queen owner does. If another gets satisfaction out of it then that's great but it doesn't do anything for the performance or longevity of the boat.

IMO, A bad thing to do is store the boat
with a bunch of water semi-sealed inside the hatches … cockpit area can dry out quick, inside of hull can get pretty steamy and this is real bad for ‘ester’ type resins.

Waxing DOES slow the boat down on paper, but so does a ton of scratches. Worse would be waxed scratches… LOL.

Smooth as poss. buffed out non waxed bottom is best for speed.

Just rinse and dry if worried about scum staying on it.

OMG
Some people just love to debate about the smallest things!

BTW, talk to some guys who race sailboats competively…they laugh when they see people waxing/polishing their hulls before races.

That’s basically it
Most of the necessary maintenance is self-evident when it’s necessary (ie. frayed deck lines, cracked hatch covers, sticky skeg, etc.)