Getting in shape to race

This Saturday was great. Over cast no wind moderate current. Deep water. Went about six miles in two hours. That is a personal best going up stream. Then a very relaxing down stream drift.
Can’t say enough about having a rudder.
My question now is from drifting down stream. I want to maximize the current during the race.
What part of the river will push me faster. Center or the edge? And when should I try to go fast? After the corner when there is current . Or on the streight sections when the water is moving slow? I notice I had to really dig in after the inside of a curve to make forward progress. So I suspect that is the strongest point .

There are sand bars and logs both in the center and along the edge so I have to learn them as the water level drops.

Get a copy of “Canoe Racing: The Competitor’s Guide to Marathon and Downriver Canoe Racing” (Paperback)
by Peter Heed and Dick Mansfield. It will answer all your questions and then some. I bought it primarily for training purposes. It includes sections on technique, reading water, tactics, etc.

Unfortunately it’s out of print so the price is hefty. Perhaps your library can find you a copy.

I thank Greg Stamer for recommending this book three years ago. It was an excellent investment.

"My question now is from drifting down stream. I want to maximize the current during the race.
(1) What part of the river will push me faster. Center or the edge?

(2) And when should I try to go fast? After the corner when there is current . Or on the streight sections when the water is moving slow? I notice I had to really dig in after the inside of a curve to make forward progress. So I suspect that is the strongest point ."

You need to do a lot more of this to get a feel for what the water is doing, but here are some relevant comments.

(1) The part that will push you the fastest is wherever the main current is flowing. On curves, this will be along the outside bank, but you can often go faster “cutting the corner” a bit, simply because that’s a shorter route. You have to find a balance between the fastest current and the shortest route, all while keeping in mind the problem of getting tangled in the eddy, which is the water on the inside of the curve which is moving a lot slower, or is relatively stationary, or even moving in the opposite direction as the main flow. Also, the outside of the curve is where fallen trees are likely to be, and even if not, you will experience the effect of how the actual current is in three dimensions, going around the curve in a spiral, with the top of the spiral angling off toward the bank. That spiral current will pull you against the bank so you need to counteract that. You need to practice while observing these factors so you can figure out what to do for each individual curve. You may not make the best choice every time, but you’ll do better if you know how to interpret what you see.

On straight sections, the fastest current can be anywhere. The location of the fastest current will be affected by the direction and steepness of the previous curve, and the current’s natural tendency to meander. On long straight sections, the fastest current will likely wander around in its location between the banks, and very often it will split, with a shallower sandbar, gravel bar, or mud bar in the center of the river. Learn to read the water, rather than thinking some part of a straight channel will generally have the fastest current.

(2) I’m no racer, but it seems that the answer is to go as fast as you can or as fast as practical, when you can. Doing so will just be more complicated on the curves. At locations where you found the need to “dig in”, your boat was in the curve-induced eddy, and though you were working hard to go a straight line, your boat was actually going in a sharp curve through the water itself in order to go straight relative to the fixed landmarks that you using to mark your progress. That probably makes no sense to you right now, but a careful look behind you at the boat’s wake at such a moment will reveal the curved path that the boat is taking through the water itself, and it works out that way because that water at that particular location is moving in a direction you were not aware of while you were passing through such places. In in time you can learn to detect what is happening between boat and water just by feel, and you can learn to understand it better too. That in turn will help with the decision in #1 above, about choosing the best route when going around a curve.

Here’s a hint on negotiating sharp curves at maximum speed. The boat will steer toward the water that is moving past the hull at the faster speed. When going downstream, the current is slower toward the inside of the curve and faster toward the outside of the curve, and the water of that slower zone of current passes over the hull more rapidly, so the boat steers itself toward that side. This will be true at any location across the width of the channel, but is more pronounce adjacent to any obvious eddy line. Fighting that motion actually puts the boat on a curving path within the water that supports it, which is where the non-intuitive feel of the boat comes from at these moments (it will be intuitive if you understand it well). Often you can paddle strictly on the side of the boat that’s toward the inside of the curve and strike a balance between fighting the differential current speeds, and thus make the most use of power strokes and virtually zero use of correction or steering strokes. When going upstream, the zone of faster current nearer the outside bank passes over the hull with greater velocity than the slower current that’s nearer the inside bank (this is the opposite of when going downstream), so best use of power is on the side toward the outside of the curve. However, far better than to remember “rules of thumb” is to learn to be aware of the actual velocity (speed and direction) of the water relative to your boat as you negotiate the curve of the channel and simultaneously, the curve of your boat in the other direction through the water that supports it. You don’t actually need to understand this, and in fact, most paddlers don’t (not to this degree of detail at least), but I believe it helps a bunch if you do so I’m suggesting you focus on this aspect when negotiating the curves.

Thank you very much. I do understand a lot about fluid dynamics and some of this make sense to me already. It also explains the line I noticed the other racers using .

Overstreet -is Eddie’s a craft beer dive bar on the river up there? :wink:

Racer X -come winter, you might want to find a gym and work on hi-rep, moderate weight torso twists to further develop your core when it’s cold. Working a weighted shaft to mimic a paddling stroke while seated on the floor may help as well. Consult specific stroke instruction paddling videos if you haven’t to get the nuances of your stroke down as you work on your core. Your boat’s not a poke, per se, but will always be a class racer. You’ll easily grow into stability, and in not too many months -weeks? -you will think 28" is wide -and it is! A 16’ x 22" hull will be demonstrably faster -more efficient, easier to fulfill your competitive need for speed. Save money -look used.

And good luck in your quest for the gold as you

Paddle On!

Frank in Miami

<<Overstreet -is Eddie’s a craft beer dive bar on the river up there? ;)>>

I’ve been told that the phenomena goes from Ed to Eddie to Edward to EDWINA. don’t mess with Edwina.

I think best advice is to know the water that you race in. If possible, take a trial run to learn the turns, currents and eddies. I have always started with “the rule of thirds” when racing downstream. That is, knowing the fastest current is on the outside of turns and slowest on the river’s inside curve (plus the problem of frequent shallows and sand bars near the inside of the curve). The rule of thirds says you will gain overall If you paddle either one third of the distance from the outside river bank ( gaining benefit from fastest current), or one third of the way from the inside (gaining shortest distance along with some current). Going upstream you get the slowest opposing current on the inside of turns if you can avoid the shallows.

However, on very large flat water heavily meandering rivers with strong current (such as the Yukon), something known as helicoidal surface current comes into play in a big way and requires special knowledge and experience of how to navigate when in it. Throw in many islands that part the current on both sides with differing current speeds and it gets a lot more complicated. Also: Is it worth it to take an upcoming shortcut or not? Several marathon races on the mighty Yukon have taught me much about those kinds of things.

This weeks makes it a month of training since the race. I had zero training before the race and had only been in kayak five times.
Today was all about wind. Because the Iowa river winds around a lot I had all types of wind. And no wind.
One headwind was so strong fighting current and wind. I tacked side to side and found a calm spot inside a bend. Then between trees there is no wind and some bugs.
I got a personal best cutting four minutes off my best two hour upstream paddle. Then I found a visual marker 3/4 from the finish. Now I know when to push or rest. Next week I am going to go full blast ten miles down stream.

I did not get out till Sunday . The water level is way down . Four feet below the level a week ago. Now all the little sticks poking above the surface show they are giant tree trunks lying on the bottom. New sand bars and rocks . There was also a very light wind. So the paddle was great. Just dig in and go. Felt strong after three hours

Hello All
So this post is being resurrected.

I was getting ready for a fun race on the Iowa River. It’s called the great Iowa river race. It’s a 9.25 mile race and I finished second place in 2018. Since then I started training weekly/ daily. Eating right, push ups and sit ups for strength training. Going out every Saturday and paddling upstream four hours then drifting back. This helped me get in shape. Tune my paddling style and learn the river.
Then I fell on my shoulder. I dislocated my shoulder . Also tearing my rotator cuff and tendon damage with a torn bicep mussel. I hoped it would get better so I spent six months with it getting worse. After finally going to the doctor they decided to do a very expensive surgery and I spent three months out of work rehabbing my shoulder.

Due to water levels they decided to cancel the race in 2019 anyhow. So I did not miss anything.

Now I’m good to go.
Except it was -7 deg last week in Iowa. So I have about three months to prep for the 2020 race.

They just announced the race is June 13. I’m more than excited.