Give up your tricks for freeing up zippers!

Looking at it closer it was really corrosion of the metal wear paint wears out. Put a tiny spray of Mercury Marine Corrosion Guard and wax zipper.

Yeah, that’s how it starts. Once the metal is exposed, it’s just a matter of time until it either corrodes and jams permanently or it rots away and falls apart. Even just sitting it will corrode over time. I have a gear bag that doesn’t even get wet, but the zippers continuously corrode while simply sitting in a shed. The fabric is in great shape, but the bag is now useless unless I replace all of the zippers. I’ve had to break a couple of them in order to get the gear out of the compartments.

One would think that manufacturers of outdoor gear would realize that pot metal zippers are a problem and stop using them.

My paddle bag Seals never saw saltwater or any water really just sat in dock box dry. It jammed but I got it lose with PB Blaster. I guess metal zippers are the cheapest. What is on a high end paddling jacket like a kokatat in the 400+ range? I have a expedition model drysuit from kokatat is it similar?

@PaddleDog52
From Kokatat’s site:

The zipper is one of the most sensitive components of your drysuit. Treat it carefully. The most common causes of zipper leakage are failure to close the zipper firmly, or dirt in the zipper teeth or closing end.

1. Pull the zipper in a straight line, in a smooth and even motion. Avoid yanking or pulling to the side. Have another person help you if you cannot easily reach any part of the zipper. Be especially gentle in colder air and water temperatures.

2. Never force a jammed zipper. Unzip, examine the jammed point for obstruction or damage, then carefully try again. Zipping over a piece of dirt or underclothes can derail the teeth and ruin the zipper.

3. The zipper is most vulnerable to damage when you are getting in and out of your suit. Be sure the zipper is open completely, and try not to put force on the ends that could tear the zipper apart.

4. Keep sand and dirt out of the teeth and the closing end of the zipper. Clean the zipper occasionally with mild soap, water and a toothbrush. Lubricate occasionally with a light coat of paraffin, beeswax for metal tooth zippers. For plastic water tight zippers, a dab of McNett Zip Tech Semi-Solid Zipper Lubricant in the closing end improves sealing.

5. Dry suits should be stored in a clean, dry environment. Metal tooth zippers should be partially closed with the zipper slide left about 2 inches open. This will help alleviate pressure on the sealing elements. Plastic water tight zippers should be stored in the entirely closed position. Store either hanging or loosely rolled.

Broken zippers cannot be repaired but can be replaced. This work may be performed only by Kokatat at our factory; if you feel your zipper has been damaged, please go to our warranty and repairs page or contact Customer Service at 800.225.9749 to obtain an Return Authorization Number (RA#).

Thanks Rookie! Familiar with that. I looked at my suit. I know the entry zipper is brass. The smaller ones on pockets seem to be nylon I guess. I guess when you make a product that cost that much you can’t skimp on zippers. I assume kokatat high end paddling jackets are similar construction?

@PaddleDog52 said:
Thanks Rookie! Familiar with that. I looked at my suit. I know the entry zipper is brass. The smaller ones on pockets seem to be nylon I guess. I guess when you make a product that cost that much you can’t skimp on zippers. I assume kokatat high end paddling jackets are similar construction?

I guess it depends which Kokatat paddling jacket you get, as some don’t have any zippers.

I took advantage of The River Connection’s recent 50% sale on Kokatat paddling jackets and ordered a Tropos Otter. Zipper appears to be nylon. Nice jacket not only for paddling in our current in-between weather, but for any other outdoor activity. The color is perfect since hunting season here is ongoing: Pumpkin.

Great deal.

Get her drunk.