Glacier Bay vs Kenai Fjords

Nope, the only…
…tidewater glacier in the East (Muir) Inlet side of Glacier Bay is McBride. Riggs and Muir grounded years ago. The chart for the area is very out of date for the current position of the glaciers.

I did a 13 day trip in Muir Inlet in June, and can highly recommend it. We also camped north of McBride, on a sandy beach, amidst lots of wolf and bear tracks. We didn’t see wolves in the flesh, but a couple staying in the same area a few day later got a nice close-up shot of an adult wolf trotting across their campsite. Very nice.

We had different results for bears, seeing two browns (grizzlies) in Muir, and a pesky adult black at the Mt Wright pick-up area who wouldn’t let us land for our scheduled rendezvous. Please take what the rangers say seriously----you are camping in very active bear habitat, and need to practice safe camping techniques regarding food, etc.

I did a nine day trip in the West Arm two years ago, and this is where the most impressive tidewater glaciers are. However, this arm is more open and exposed to wind and weather, and early this summer suffered from restrictions due to thick ice concentrations and bear activity.

Great area----should be on all paddlers ‘must see’ lists.

tex

Wilderness Explorer

– Last Updated: Nov-18-07 9:32 PM EST –

I was in Glacier Bay on the Wilderness Explorer about five years ago, and want to do a similar trip again. I cannot find anything anywhere on it. It looks like it was bought by Carnival Cruise lines, but they have nothing on it.

I would like to hear good alternatives for guided sea kayaking in Glacier Bay and surrounding areas if the Wilderness Explorer no longer sails there.

Thanks for any help.

BTW - Totally outragous trip. I saw more
wildlife in a week then I did in ten years working as a forester.