gloves for cold water paddling?

Second Glacier Gloves
I have the ones with the articulated fingers and wear polypro liners underneath.

Re: Inexpensive is good.
>Inexpensive is good. Have the it work is even better.

Sing, I very much agree. During one trip to Lake Superior I opted for dishwashing gloves due to the enthusiastic advice of my paddling partner. After two 20 mile days my hands blistered – his were fine, and I spend the next 10 days in pain on on every paddle stroke. Try it out first!

Greg Stamer

Mom was right…
Yep, wear your mittens. I do winter whitewater and NRS Toaster mitts on your hands give you pogi like warmth but gipability without your hands freezing when they are not on your paddle (like managing your relief zip on your drysuit, or strapping your boat onto the roof rack while you watch the water glaze and freeze onto the hull).

Pogis-great for touring or where your hands aren’t being constantly immersed.

Mitts-the way to go for continuous immersion.

See you on the water, liquid form that is,

Marshall

www.the-river-connection.com

Good To Know…
I was eyeing the NRS Toaster Mitts versus the Reactor gloves for my cold weather paddle gloves.

My NRS Navigator gloves do okay to well in water 45 deg F +, but was looking for something for something for the cold water paddle and warmer once below 50 deg F water.

Well these keep my hands warm in occasional immersion in 40 deg F water? I’m most concerned with the unplanned full body immersion and having my hands warm enough, to be dexterous enough, to allow me to get back into my yak if I need to wet exit.

TheBigYaker

Choices
Brad says he hasn’t had any problems with leaks. Although I tend to agree with you. I guess I err on the side of caution. He only goes with the dishwashing gloves this time of year when the water is still somewhat reasonable temps. Once we are in full winter mode with the water in the 30-40 range, he goes with his Nordic blues.

3mm wetsuit gloves
I already own these, and they work fine for me. I don’t mind wet hands, as long as they are warm.

Note: these are 3mm gloves. Thicker gloves would not be practical.

Actually…
NRS has a 5 mm glove that works pretty well for me down to the mid-40’s water temp. After that, it’s nordic blue.

sing

I bought
neoprene gloves in the hunting section of a box store. Only $5 and dwork great

Box store
Please explain " box" store??

I tried the
fisherman gloves from Walmart . Neo black glove, but found they leak at the seams. Then found

http://www.blackhawk.com/product_detail.asp?product_id=2835&d=

these work great. Kept my hands warm , even in single digit degree cold days.