Gloves/Poggies for Cold Weather

NRS Toaster Mitts
The Toaster Mitts are seriously warm. Even when it’s 15F out, my hands stay almost too warm.

Used to use pogies…
and they work very well… and then I went for my first cold water swim :slight_smile: Fortunately I was close to shore - Wyoming lake - as the medium gloves I had on under the pogies were certainly not up to any kind of extended time in cold water. Learned a valuable lesson that day sitting in a small cove with $1000+ worth of dry gear on and hands so cold they were useless. Took a while for those hot packs in my survival pouch to do their magic :slight_smile:

I’m an old fart and my hands chill easily so I’ve become a connoisseur of gloves. I have two pair of Glacier Perfect Curves and love 'em. One is sized for use alone when the weather is hitting the upper 30’s F. The next pair is one size larger to allow for a pair of SmartWool liners. This gets me another 15 degrees down the ladder. Finally, a pair of Toaster mitts sized to allow the liners for when it drops below that 20 degree mark.

You can extend the life of neoprene outer gloves by applying Aquaseal adhesive to the wear areas that will become visible after the first few paddling sessions. This tip is courtesy of the folks at the Kayak Academy - works very well.

I wore pogies today
Slid the WW kayak in the truck bed and paddled 2 hrs of laps around the pond. Air temps in the 40s, skies shifting back and forth from cloudy to partly sunny and back again, light wind.

I kept pulling hands out of the pogies and paddling a while with the empties dangling from the middle of the shaft. Then my hands would get cold after a few minutes, so I’d put them on again. Then off. Then on. Lost count of how any cycles of this I went through.

The whole thing convinced me that the main advantage of pogies is that they are easy to remove (less easy to put hands back inside, though–need to use teeth for the 2nd pogie). Certainly, easier than removing and donning form-fitting rubberized gloves. For situations like today, where water temp was still probably above 50 degrees but air temp was colder and breezy, pogies worked well.