Go Pro and other helmet cams

I don’t know where you see it
for $139…

Costco does not list it on their web site and even if they had it, I am not sure the HD model would be $139…

They do have the Kodak PlaySport for $100 though, and that has a less wide angle and an LCD screen for those who do not like the wide angle and lack of built-in LCD on the GoPro. The video off the GoPro is higher quality and the housing and mounting options are more rugged, but the wide angle is not the right choice for all shooting…

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11539291&whse=BC&Ne=5000001+4000000&eCat=BC|90607|83&N=4047256 4294967189&Mo=1&No=1&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&Ns=P_Price|1||P_SignDesc1&lang=en-US&Sp=C&hierPath=906078321253*&topnav=

It’s in my local store
Costco’s online catalog and what they have in the store are often different. It can be frustrating.

Go Pro HD
I recently got one and it came with all kinds of attachment setups. Some temporary and some permanent (glue in place).

The video is outstanding, but the lack of a preview screen is the only drawback. Still, it’s small and the rechargeable battery has a long life before needing a recharge.

But is it the “HD” or the “HD 960”

– Last Updated: Dec-06-11 2:44 PM EST –

Just saying that $139 for the HD model is a great price. The HD960 is cheaper http://gopro.com/cameras/hd-hero-960-camera.

It is definately the HD 960

– Last Updated: Dec-06-11 2:45 PM EST –

I know it is the cheaper of the three HD models. I'm coming from the non-HD version that took AAA batteries. So any HD is a step up for me.

I just wish I could find a killer deal on the new Hero 2 for $139! Yea, that's not going to happen for quite some time.

He-he …
I hear you. I have the “HD” and use it pretty much exclusively in the 960p mode anyway due to the larger vertical resolution (important if I want to include my kayak into my helmet cam view). And I only do 720p HD movies out of it, so the 1080p (full HD) is lost on me for the most part anyway and the HD-960 would have been more than enough for me and would have saved about $100 in the process -:wink:

just got one
can’t figure it out yet. it seems sporadic to be able to cycle through the menus

Paul

Took me a while
But to turn it on and to be fairly certain it remains on the default mode, you have to only briefly press the power button. If you press and hold longer, it will turn on then flip to the next mode after the default… Turning off requires a long press though…

I hate these menues they got, but once set I rarely change it anyway. The new version 2 is supposed to do away with the cryptic menues…

Contour
many folks like Contour cameras which have good quality images, mount easier and are less bulky, about the same price. i do use gopro for surfing and lost 2 - sup leash wrapped around one and jerked it off when i wiped out, the second was on my waveski stern with a poor connection (my fault). 3rd is holding on well, see video on my youtube page, http://www.youtube.com/user/tugwakesurfer?feature=mhee

Hero2
I recently upgraded from the original GoPro HD to the new Hero2. Much better low light performance and overall better video quality. The new Hero2 also allows you to change the field of view. You can purchase a LCD screen to attach to the back of the camera so you can see what your shooting. Great little camera. I sound like a GoPro fanboy.

have you used it yet?
I’m curious how it compares to the non ‘HD’ version you had previously.

No, I haven’t used it yet
It’s still in the box. I’ve got to get out and do some paddling soon. I’m sure it’s a great camera and all, but the camera angle will be too wide for filming your buddies paddling WW, just like the last one. The Go Pro Hero 2 is the way to go. But I’m just too damned cheap to spend $299 when this one is $139 at Cosco … especially when it’s always just one mishap or dirt fleck in the case door away from being totaled.

yeah, I hear you