Going solo

Rec

– Last Updated: Apr-15-15 2:48 PM EST –

Most of my friends have rec kayaks, so I'd probably be faster with nearly any of my choices. I'm not following sea kayakers.

weight
I was looking at the recommended weight rating which topped off at 280 lbs. Is that something I’m paying too much attention to. It seems that width is more of a factor judging from the responses here.

Yeah, no problem keeping with rec yaks
on leisurely paddles while paddling a solo canoe.

Swift Shearwater would be . . .
. . . a very good boat for someone your size who wants also to carry gear and have decent stability for fishing.

My comments in this post relate only to kneeling canoes. But you can also easily sit on the seat in a Shearwater.

I can’t off-hand think of any kneeling canoe that would have less initial stability than a Rapidfire except for an ancient Lotus BJX.

I haven’t paddled one, but the Swift Keewaydin 15 looks like a very nice canoe, though I doubt it’s as stable as the Shearwater.

Please do call ahead if going to Collinsville. They are a huge kayak and SUP dealer but have VERY few canoes. I’m in Connecticut and was there two months ago, and I think they had only about four solo composite Swift canoes, including a Kee 15 and maybe an Osprey. There was no Shearwater. I have no idea what else they bring on a truck for a demo day.

Spend the money to go as light weight as possible, and drive as far as necessary. The right canoe will last a lifetime, and lightness becomes ever more valuable as we age. 50 ain’t 30, and 70 ain’t 50 – and that goes for both age strength and boat weights.

Thanks
Thanks for the heads up on their canoe stock. I kind of assumed that if they had it on their website they had it in stock.

Center of gravity
One also has to take into consideration the center of gravity. Without knowing your height, the COG of a 240 pound paddler with little or no gear is going to be higher than that of a180 pound paddler with 60 pounds of gear loaded below the gunwales. Granted, you wouldn’t be kneeling in the Pack, but my gut feeling is that it’s too small for your stated intentions.

Keeping up with kayaks
Just be a shuttle vehicle then they have to keep pace with you :slight_smile:

Sale weekend
at Collinsville Canoe and Kayak is April 25 and 26. In the past when I’ve gone to these events I found that the Swift people had brought a number of demo canoes in. You might call 'em and ask if they know what is coming. Ph. 860-693-6977.

Peter

Collinsville

– Last Updated: Apr-16-15 11:01 PM EST –

I shot them an e-mail this morning and got a call back from who I guess was the owner. I mentioned the Shearwater and he wasn't sure if Swift was bringing one because it a "niche" boat, but he would see if he could get them bring one to demo. He mentioned that a lot of heavier canoers like the Osprey because it's a little wider in the back and has good stability.

He thought the Keewaydin 15 or the Osprey would be a good choice for me and either would be worlds above my old Exlplorer (and other boats that I have paddled such as OT Discoverys and Penobscots and aluminum Grummans) as far as responsiveness. Hopefully I will get to try them all. He threw a lot at me in 10 minutes of conversation, but if I recall correctly he said the Kee would have more room under the seat for kneeling. I tend to sit most of the time, but kneel in waves or if I need to get some speed. I'm not averse to the idea of a sit on bottom, double paddle so the Keewaydin 15 Pack may also be an option. I plan to go to the demo day to see what I like.

A question to those who have been at similar demo days. Do they typically supply weights for demoing with a fully packed canoe or should I bring my own weighted dry bags to see how they handle with a load? Also, I hope to come home with a canoe. If I like a demo boat can I buy it on the spot even if it was something they simply brought along as a demo?

Re: Solo Canoe Considerations
You’ll need to bring your own packs. Osprey and Shearwater were designed by John WInters. one 16’3" by 32", the other 15’ by 29.5". Stability comes with width and length, as most designers use similar cross sectional shaping. Best to call the Swift factory to try to get a Shear on the trailer.

Another question
you need to ask the CCK people. If you show up first thing Saturday morning and want to buy a demo boat will they let you drive off with it and then not have it for the remainder of the weekend. I don’t know.

Peter

W. PA Solo Canoe Rendezvous

– Last Updated: Apr-17-15 8:39 AM EST –

The Western PA Solo Canoe Rendezvous is coming up shortly (June 5-7) at Coopers Lake. This will be a great place to try out many canoes with little or no sales pressure. Some dealers will be present as well as private owners.
Informal instruction will also be available. It's always a fun weekend to simply hang out with a bunch of canoeaholics.

www.wpascr.org

Following sea preferences
I would rather be in my MR Independence or my Bell Magic than the Osprey in following seas.

Both of those boats seem to be able to surf the swells better than the Osprey.

But the Osprey is a better river runner, dryer and more manuverable than either the Indy or the Magic.

The only weights they supply
are on paper…performance loads. No they do not supply weights or rocks. You know what you weigh and can do the math

I have friends with Shearwaters, Ospreys and Kees… I ask… just what are you planning on taking?

They all trip up to six weeks but do not use tables camp furniture or bbqs. Nor do they carry jugs of water. They may be tight on space if you are bringing a canvas tent or wood stove ( and this is not sarcastic… some people do in the fall and spring)

Its easy to get two 130 liter packs in the boats.

If you want to test with your own packs I cant imagine anyone objecting.

Load

– Last Updated: Apr-17-15 8:58 PM EST –

I'm used to loading my MR Explorer to the gills. Cooler with steaks and beers, chairs, table, canopy, 2 burner Coleman stove, Weber grill, etc. Probably a couple hundred pounds or more of stuff. But that was going with my ex. I'm also a long time backpacker and can reduce as needed.It's not a big deal replacing the Coleman with a Whisperlite and the 6 person tent with a hammock to me.

Being able to bring luxuries into the wilderness is one of the attractions of canoe camping to me. Car camping meets back country camping. The Explorer is a load monster and I don't expect that out of a high end solo canoe. If I go solo I don't need a lot. If I go with friends I can loan them the Explorer and let them load it up while I paddle circles around them.