good beginner kayak?

I have an old (2001?) Looksha Sport

– Last Updated: Feb-20-08 3:42 PM EST –

that is 14'4" which I still enjoy. It's short and very maneuverable and I've paddled it all over. I used to take it out to the Norwalk and Thimble Islands in some decent conditions with no problems. I paddle a Tempest 170 most of the time these days and while a plastic 170 would be a better buy if you can find one, a Looksha Sport wouldn't be a bad first kayak. One with a skeg would probably be best. At 6' and 200# you would fit in either boat. Oh, and definitely join ConnYak--good people.---Rich Gallagher

Collinsville Canoe
Contact Collinsville canoe and kayak in Collinsville CT. They sell their rental fleet and used stuff every spring. Also Wilton Outdoor Sports - same thing. Wilton CT.

ConnYak bulletin board has nothing in the starter category in their classifieds right now.

connyak.org

N. Cove Outfitters - Saybrook has a great demo weekend in May. Not much used however.

Welcome to the area - I live in Branford. You’re not going to find a nicer place to paddle than the Thimble Islands in Branford. Be careful in the Spring - it can get pretty nasty out there - out in front of Guilford too.

Used plastic sea kayak
For that price and location, that’d be your most versatile choice.

I sold a used one for $425, including the cheap paddle I had carried as a spare.

Check the pnet classifieds section and your local craigslist.

Sometimes used wood kayaks are sold in that price range. Probably not a good choice for a beginner, because you have to know what build problems to check for.

Club/Instruction/Rental
I will 3rd somebody else’s suggestion to join the club and talk to the local paddlers. The free event is great!

Instruction in kayaking is sometimes more important than the boat you are paddling. It so much easier to stop bad habits from forming than trying to break them later.

Also, think of the venue you would like to paddle, rent a kayak, see how you like it - much easier to make a decision based on personal experiences than on someone’s suggestions.

Hi Suz

– Last Updated: Feb-22-08 2:19 PM EST –

Wayne Smith and myself will be doing the in-pool demonstration at that event. The kayak I will borrow for it will be a Perception Carolina. I think this represents the most basic bottom of the line actual, real "kayak". It has hatches, bulkheads, and a normal size cockpit with thigh braces. I try to show what you can do with this boat vs. a rec boat that you are actually helpless in for a lot of real paddling skills.

Go used …
Find yourself a heritage seadart, an Ocean Kayak Scupper Pro, or an WS Tarpon. Check out the reviews here and at www.sit-on-topkayaking.com .

You can easily find a seaworthy sit on top in your price range used. Craigslist is a good place to start. All three of those boats are very seaworthy and good places for beginner paddlers to start.

Great time of year for Clearance

– Last Updated: Feb-22-08 2:56 PM EST –

http://www.riversidekayak.com/About/Specials/index.htm

a link to my local shop - I'm sure you can find similar in your area.

Signed,
Paddles on Budget

Edit - P.S.: have bought 3 plastic boats now and helped nephew buy 1 too - always new, always clearanced for affordability

Old Town Nantucket @ $381 in 2004
Old Town Adventure XL 139 @ $425 in 2006
Old Town Cayuga 160 @ $725 in 2007
Venture Skye 17 @ $925 in 2007

"Every time I think I'm out, they pull me right back in again!"

Thanks
Hey thanks for making this thread Im basically in the same situation you are and everything has been pretty helpful here. The only thing is I live in Hartford County and then I have a house in North Shore Mass so I’d probably be doing most kayaking in these area.

I was looking at a Wilderness Systems Tsunami 125

http://www.ems.com/catalog/product_detail_vertical.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524442591854&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302875132&bmUID=1203817041240

Any more information would be appreciated