good kayak hauling cars/crossovers

Impreza Sport Limited

– Last Updated: Mar-23-13 6:13 PM EST –

(hatchback)...that's what I have. I'm happy with it. Put Thule crossbars on with universal mounts and stackers for more than 2 kayaks. I've carried 3 at one time so far. It is low to the ground and twice that has bothered me, but I do like the gas mileage.

Depending on conditions (wind, load, speed, etc) mileage ranges 25-33 with boats up top. Have seen 38 on a long highway drive with no boats. I have read the similar Crosstrek is not worth the extra $$, though the new hybrid may be a different story.

If I'm by myself I can load my Romany using the old bathmat method, sliding it up onto the rack from the back--works great for me.

Another Subaru fan
I have a 2008 Subaru Forester with the Yakima rail grabbers with 58" crossbars. The bars stick out a little but that has not been a problem. I can haul a canoe and kayak without a problem. The Forester was not as tall as the RAV 4 or Honda CRV which were also on my list of cars to look at which may be of interest to you. The Forester or Outback has plenty of room inside for gear. It holds all our gear for two for a 10 day trip in the everglades including water. The new Subaru also gets better gas mileage than mine.