Good poling canoe

Speaking of Rock
I have his book out at the moment. Mailing it back to its owner is on my list of things to get done this weekend. So the first thing I do is start surfing p-net. Procrastination is me.

But since the book is sitting here, I’ll quote Rock on:

“CANOE SELECTION. …the best overall boat for tracking ability and maneuverability is a standard recreational 16’ ABS Royalex canoe…A full hull design at the ends is desired to reduce the porpoising effect from power plants along with a 15” center depth to shed waves. A 35-36" beam to enhance balance is also desireable…Limited rocker is helpful for turning without causing a loss of tracking ability. A shallow “V” hull design helps with tracking and provides good initial and secondary stability because of having a ‘shoulder’ to stand on versus a flat bottom hull."

Sounds like an Appalachain until you get to the part about the “V” bottom. The boat he is pictured in on the cover looks like an Explorer. I think the Appalachain has fuller ends, so he must feel the V bottom is important.

~~Chip Walsh

MR Explorer
I ended up buying a really nice used MR explorer 16 in Royalex.I figured I couldnt go wrong with that boat.

Mike

Well then
I suppose that for my limited poling purposes I’ll just stick to the ole’ 17 ft Grumman like I did when I was a kid. It’s cheaper this way. Haven’t poled in decades of course and never thought myself good at it or anything. I sometimes just want to get upstream whan the water is too shallow to paddle effectively. (Back then I used to use a banister that I pulled out of a remodeling job - back when banisters weren’t made of such wimpy wood and spliced everywhere.)

Guess I might have been looking for a reason to buy a …well, youse guys understand.

Thanks for the input.