Good video of what not to do creeking

Don’t see a single back ferry …
in that video, but there are plenty of forward ferries, and a couple of nice eddy turns and peal outs.

Is he using a bent shaft paddle? Wouldn’t be my choice, but you can’t argue with the results.

What do you do approaching a strainer?
Eddy out above the obstacle to determine if there is safe passage, and portage if you need to. As this guy learned the hard way, once you get swept into a strainer, its too late to do much of anything except hold on for dear life. If you ever get swept into a strainer never try to swim under it. Alway pull yourself up so you are on top of the branches, not under them.

no back ferry

the film concept was running a strainer not avoiding running the strainer.

running a strainer is exciting.

say this 3 times

running a strainer is exciting

well, it is exciting. Worthy of an online GoPro video

The criticism is misplaced. But, I am advised that the commentary herein is paddle in cheek, that I’m not reading the alleged humor ignoring the GoPro bit.

c’est

Sorry to bring up an old topic
But as a noob, aside from not going out on a river when its flooded, what other precautions are smart to avoid ending up in a situation like this?

New to moving water …
(1)You should scout the entire route you are going to paddle before doing the run. Also if the flow is high enough that features, snags and strainers are moving around don’t paddle.

(2) Do you first paddles with boaters who are much more experienced than you, and preferably someone who has credentials to teach you how to kayak. Go with a group that does an organize decent, and a rescue paln. Not everybody piling in and going yahoo at the same time.

sea dart’s advice spot on
and also consider buying a guidebook for the streams you want to paddle- they often suggest appropriate runs for your individual skill set or experience level and provide information about water levels.

also, thank you for asking and wanting to learn. If You supply more specific geographic information I’m sure others can provide suggestions about specific resources- paddling clubs, guidebooks, clinics, meet up groups etc.

part of the fun of being a paddler is exploring “new to me” places ( or as some refer to them “personal first descents” pfds) but boat control and judgement go hand in hand with this exploration and independence.

Different individual environments require different specific skill sets, equipment, and preparation. So know what you don’t know.

Many will say “just don’t go”. I say “go for it”, but only if you know what your doing. Before setting out ask yourself “have I paddled other rivers this: fast, brown, with wood, micro eddies, or taken a river rescue class?” Take the time to learn your craft and realize that paddling swift rivers is something that isn’t always intuitive. Many things you can figure out yourself but its nice to have someone help fill in the gaps and it can keep you safer. If it’s not fun, because it seems scary or out of control, then don’t do it! I like a challenge but the key is to stay in control. Groups can help but always make your own decisions when it comes to your own safety.

From my perspective, the river wasn’t too fast, the strainer wasn’t too big, or the waves too high- the paddler simply was in over his head. He didn’t know enough to ask or learn about what he didn’t know. He just went for it and hoped things would work out. So again, thanks for asking.

All this advice from someone who prays on the river…but I try to be prepared as well.

I worry less about river credentials and more about paddling with individuals who recognize the needs of the group.

A boat pinned and taking on water…
Say it was nice knowing you. Unless it is a proper WW boat with pillars and the usual pretty thick plastic, which this was not, hard running water will turn it into a misshapen mess. Hence the comment that the guy was lucky he got his legs out.

The Fine Nine

– Last Updated: May-03-16 6:10 AM EST –

There was a good article on the NRS website on river safety

http://www.nrs.com/safety_tips/thefinenine.asp?trk_msg=FE237GKVRG64H1JRP55GAUEMLK&trk_contact=VVL80MEKBSVVC5GDCNJJF9PO1O&utm_source=Listrak&utm_medium=Email&utm_term=Safety

or

http://tinyurl.com/jnbpwrk

Personally, I think the most important from the list are the first three "knows” – know yourself, know the group and know the river. As tdaniel said, the challenge is to push yourself without getting in over your head. Improving your skills is important, which to me means getting some formal training on on paddling, river reading and safety.

Sorry for the long link.

Jump into creeks in flood stage,
especially when you have little paddling skills or knowledge.

The lack of any more videos…
…on the paddler’s youtube channel leads me to believe he may have learned something, or maybe learned nothing.

Maybe he’ll see the traffic on that video, follow it to a forum like this and absorb some good advice. Then again…

Learn basic moving water maneuvers
Your best bet is to gain competence in basic moving water maneuvers, learn how to read water, and remain vigilant on the river.

Fundamental river maneuvers include forward (upstream) and back (downstream) ferries, and crossing lines of differential current to enter and exit eddies. You need to be able to quickly and safely spin you boat upstream for a forward ferry should the need arise.

These skills are obviously not gained by paddling streams in flood. Although I certainly advocate formal instruction when possible, I have seen many paddlers become quite competent with only less formal instruction.

Without the ability to execute these fundamental maneuvers you are largely at the mercy of the current. In fast current, the river will often be taking you someplace you don’t want to be, and doing so quickly.

Anytime the current velocity is greater than you can paddle upstream against, your safety margin is greatly reduced, and your need to react quickly and effectively becomes critical.

3 strikes…
1. Paddler has few if any paddling skills.

2. Paddling on flooded waterway, in a rec kayak with no skirt.

3. Has a GoPro camera.

He was very lucky; as fools often are.

BOB