Got Any Hot (weather) Tips?

Button up would be a good idea. Overhead long sleeve is hard on my shoulder, especially when wet and tired. It would look more comical than getting out of the boat.

1 Like

I’m going to try a couple of their products. Thx for posting.

I used to just wear old beat-up button-down cotton work shirts. They work well for sun protection plus for me there was huge satisfaction in repurposing work shirts into paddling shirts.

2 Likes

Good idea. I only wore long sleeve button down cotton. Or 80/20 cotton poly pin oxfords. Might try that.

I use these for kayaking here in hot tropical Singapore (where it’s getting hotter like many places). Have you tried them?
DRSKIN Men’s Long Sleeve Compression Shirts Top Sports Workout Running Athletic Baselayer Dry Thermal Winter https://amzn.asia/d/3goshLz

We use thin hoodies for sun protection but they are loose

We wash our clothes in the shower and hang them out at the hotel so we don’t pack as much.

I was a slow adopter of merino and technical fabrics but my husband has sold me.

1 Like

Beat the heat along the northern Gulf of Mexico by paddling at dawn, dusk, and night. Avoid midday paddling.

1 Like

I generally prefer loose fitting clothing in the summer as I find it cooler. Those look hot to me, but if they work for you, that’s great!

I use them mainly for UV blocking, not for compression and they feel cool to wear. Don’t be misled by the ‘base layer’ and ‘winter’ in the description. :laughing:

I bought a “lightweight” shirt from Kokatat online a couple of years ago, hoping for another good summer-in-Florida option. I think I’d die if I wore it here in 100F+ heat indices, but it’s a great Florida winter (ie 70F) paddling shirt! I realized that northern California “summer” is probably closer to Florida “winter”…

2 Likes

In our Gulf of Mexico area heat, wet the shirt if paddling during the day. Let evaporative cooling work for you.

If you do that after dark, you may start to experience hypothermia despite the air temp probably still being in the 80s.

1 Like

One trip on the Green River in Utah was 115. We floated in the river to cool off.
The Upper Missouri River in eastern Montana reached 112. I learned to keep beverages cool, because hot water is hard to drink.
Learn to notice dehydration in others. At those temps it can happen to experienced people.
Stop in the middle of the day and find some shade and rest.
Bring sun protection. After a week on the water, people can get really burned.
New thicker coolers help. Use block ice or dry ice. Put a wet towel over your cooler.
Put your hat and scarf over the side and keep them wet. In serious heat a wet towel draped over your legs while paddling is great.
In the West, a brimmed hat and sunglasses are required.
Get your pets wet.
Find campsites with a breeze. Stay away from large rock outcrops in the heat. Sleep in the open with a sheet.
Avoid July and August.

3 Likes

Learn to how to roll. “Rotary cooling” is best.

Ok! If the water gets to 60 F maybe I’ll try this week but I’m not sure I can roll a Solstice.

My tip is to vacation in the Alps vs Croatia or Greece or Italy where almost all our friends have gone.

They keep asking why we keep going back to the mountains instead of fighting the post Covid crowds at the biggest attractions

(Because its one of the coolest places on the planet right now)

If we were in the US right now, I’d head for “America’s Alps” Lake Diablo:

Lake Tahoe is another hot summer destination!

2 Likes

or ‘half-way’ rolls (balance brace)

When it gets too hot, I’ll often dip in on either or both sides with the balance brace.
The advantage here (over a full roll) is that you still get fully immersed (as much as you want), but your sunglasses don’t get wet (the hat will), if you carry a deck bag - it will stay dry.

3 Likes

I wear one but keep my vest on the deck (to throw or don if I end up doing a wet exit)

So I have two. One is none, two is one :blush:

1 Like
2 Likes

He has a great channel!:+1:t3:

Start early in the day.

2 Likes

We started this morning at 77° by noon is was 95° and humid. Happy to have a cold one in the AC. Now we’re under an air quality warning.

1 Like