Got any unique touring tips?

same as I feel
the law states here that anything up to the high water mark is river and hence public property. I use it as such, do not leave anything behind. I don’t build a fire, and I don’t make a camp until dark, and leave early. Some landowners believe they actually own the riverbed under the river even. (Some states they do)

When I am travelling, I am not going to look up plat maps, locate every possible campsite I might be at, find the owner, then ask them if I can camp on PUBLIC land next to their property. It’s asinine.

Yes, it might be good paddler/public relations to ask, but I don’t need to. Every bit of land is owned by somebody. Riverbanks are owned by EVERYONE, and are something ANY water traveller should be able to use. As long as I im a location where the law states the riverbanks are public, I do not feel I need to ask.

Navigation act
In Canada any river that ever saw fur trade traffic is covered under the navigation act, which permits camping up to 40 feet above mean high water.

As to why ask the land owner: I don’t know at the beginning of the day where I will be camping. If there is a house near the river, sure I will ask, but if I’m on the riparian edge of a field, I just do minimalist camping. I’ve yet to get in trouble for it.

up to the high water mark
If you camp anywhere below the high tide mark on either coast, chances are you’re going to experience a rather wet and unpleasant night.

I don’t think any of these are unique
1) To protect your hatches from intruders at night, turn over your kayak.

2) For a seat, sit on a log. For a pillow, put clothes under your head.

3) For a firewood, if you live in places used by lots of people, leave no trace and don’t collect fire wood.

4) For light, I use a small, single LED Princeton Tec light. The same as people have on their key rings. Hold it between your thumb and forefinger, slip it onto the visor of your baseball cap, or hang it on a loop in your tent. No reason to have it on when you don’t need it.

Rotate your fires.

Amen!!

– Last Updated: Dec-11-10 10:04 PM EST –

All my gear fits in one pack:

Sleeping bag
Swim Shorts
1 pair socks
1 pair lightweight pants
Mess kit & LMF spork
Flint & steel
12x12 sil tarp
Poncho
Bag of food
IFAK
232oz water
Katadyn Hiker Pro
GPS
Compass
Bushmaster knife
Glock 19 + 45rds
Stave

If I have to "find a way" to pack it, I don't need it. Last trip we went on, we saw NOBODY till we hit a main road at the end of our tip.

Paddle easy,

Coffee

Touring tip No. 1
get a comfortable seat !

Jack L

wheat thins
If you like wheat thins one of the regular size boxes empties perfectly into a 32oz wide mouth nalgene bottle. gives secure water and crush proof storage.

Amen!
Amen to a comfortable seat. To me it makes all the difference in the world to have a comfortable place to sit down after a long day’s paddle and ports.

No, I meant a comfortable seat in the …
yak.

I’ll usually sit on a piece of drift wood or a log.

jack L

+1

– Last Updated: Dec-19-10 12:02 AM EST –

+1 coffee on the glock and ammo, never leave for a trip without some sort of personal defense tools.

for boat protection at night i use a lightweight waterproof nylon tarp streched and stacked over my boat. it keeps rain out and minimizes frost build up during witer and so far has kept critters out. here in california on some lakes and river streches we have turanchulas (spelling... or also know as big fuzzy spiders). the last thing i want is to start paddling the next morning and have one crawl up my leg from it's hiding spot in the bow.

Sure…

– Last Updated: Dec-27-10 2:52 PM EST –

Use those cheap plastic shopping bags for tent anchors in sandy areas, where stakes are difficult holding, such as beaches. Fill them with sand, and tie to tent loops. The real beauty is that these free plastic wonders pack down to nothing, and are great for a number of various uses.

Also, for cold water/weather paddlers who use wetsuits, pull those plastic bags over your feet before putting on your neoprene suits. This allows the neoprene to slide much easier over your skin, heal, etc... This is an old diver's trick. It's especially great if you, and/or your suit are already wet, and are reentering/switching your suits.

Paddle on~ Splash