GP and tung oil

An option I didn’t mention…
…is that you can add oil to one of the fake “tung oil”/wiping varnish products to give it more oil-like properties. Formby’s would be a good choice for doing this and Minwax would benefit from it too, IMO.

Thanks!
I tried hard… :wink:

Tru Oil
I have used Tru Oil numerous times while refinishing gun stocks and came up with a way to deal with the hard layer that forms on top of the product while in it’s container. Upon opening a new container don’t remove the foil. Instead, I just poke 2 small holes in it to minimize air exposure. When storing the remaining product just store it upside down. That way the film forms on the bottom and seals the air from the varnish.

Tom

and On and On
Tru-oil preservation trick is well known amongst us old gunsmiths…upside down is the key phrase here. Works with any finish that forms a film; I store my paint, varnish and lacquer cans upside down after making sure the lid is properly on tight by tapping all the way around with a mallet. You will know if you did it right, because if you did not, your finish will soon be outside of the can, ROTFLMAO!!!

The only way to tell if a finish is done “curing”, is by smell. NO smell…it’s done. Can take a lot longer than you might think, sometimes as long as a month in a well-ventilated place.