gp vs low angle time trials

sheesh Jack
Harpoons are on the front deck or on the side

tsk tsk

Paul

:slight_smile:

Second Brazilbrazil
"Sure, the gp can be used in a high vertical stroke, and if that is what you do when cruising for 2 to 3 hours, then this comparison test might not be of interest. But most gp paddlers do not cruise this way."

It all depends, I suppose, on our respective frame of reference. However, a know more than a few GP paddlers who often cruise @4kts for hours in a variety of boats included loaded touring boats. Essentially all of them use a high to relatively high angle stroke which of course is only one part of the puzzle. So your view that most GP users do not cruise using a high paddle angle is contrary to my observations.

OK
I accept that many gp guys use a high stroke, though looking at videos I donā€™t have that impression. So I agree to limit my comparison to between low angle Euro paddles, and gpā€™s used in a low stroke. That is the comparison I did and found that with Kalliste or AT I was faster and less tired than with the gp over 2 to 3 hours. I donā€™t want to generalize this; it is only my experience.

But I am interested if anyone has ACTUALLY done a similar comparison test. I donā€™t know of anyone who has.

Rather
flawed comparison. Had you been paddling for many years with a Greenland paddleā€¦then using a canted strokeā€¦picked up a Euro, and used the same stroke, you would find quite the opposite conclusion. The two strokes have many differences and nuances. And there is no ONE cut for a Greenland paddle. A Greenland paddle can be cut to do just about anything depending on how you wish the paddle to load. The main difference between Euro and Greenland paddles is feel on the water, they both preform.

to ask everyone on the forum to emulate you stroke with these two paddles is looking for somethingā€¦flawed comparisonā€¦sorry

Best Wishes

Roy

theoretically flawed
The fact is that I own 1 excellent gp and 2 excellent low angle Euros. So I did a test the determine which gives me better speed/efficiency over my typical 2 to 3 hr paddle, and at my typical speed. And with my current skill, current stroke, current boat the clear benefit goes to the Euros. I donā€™t see any flaw in that comparison for me. I repeat: I make no generalizations to different people with different skills.

I still would like to hear about someone else doing a similar comparison paddle.