GPS devices

One problem…
One problem that just occurred to me regarding this plan. If the laptop is stowed away safe from water, it’ll probably be safe from air ventillation as well. Hmm…

navigation "help"
If the mangrove of Florida is anything like the marshes of Moss Landing, CA, I’d say a GPS is GREAT tool to have!

For Marshy paddles, I can often see the dock. However there appears only mud between where I’m and where I want to go. That’s when GPS comes in handy. The “track” on the GPS basically shows me where I’ve been through (i.e. has WATER instead of mud).

Century ago, before the age of GPS, explorers learn to instinctively memorize the landscape of where they’ve passed through so they can track back if need be. Those who don’t learn fast enough don’t survive. We, the morden day city dwellers mostly have much less experience in that and could use the help of GPS, which obsessively “remembers” our track without fail.

In other words, if we don’t want to spend a lot of time learning “natural navagation” BEFORE we go out to paddle, we can use the help of GPS.

Back up your GPS with another yakker
who knows the area, whenever possible. Go with a guide the first time. Nothing beats “local Knowldege”.

I love my E-trex Legend
I have had My E-trex legend for almost a year and it’s great. It’s small yet full of features. I paid $169 at circiut city. I use if for kayaking, atv riding and Jetskiing. Best bang for the buck.

kayak club
That’s where paddling clubs come in! Go with a club trip to a place you wish to go but was afraid to go alone for the first time. Bring your GPS to record the track. The next time you go back there, you know your way around!

Guides are great when you’re visiting a far away place. Save the trouble of having to find your way around. But for home water, I prefer club outings. Also a better chance of meeting people you can later go out with. Commercial guides tend to attract out-of-towners and never again beginers more than club paddles. Exception: shops that supports local clubs are GREAT! Some offer trips for a token fee for club members. But then again, that more reason you should join a club in the first place…

Mzpsource
Is the only software that can be used to download maps to a Garmin GPS (capable of displaying maps). Many other software mapping programs will work with garmin and other GPS for transfering tracks, waypoints, and routes,or even interfaced directly to a laptop.You just cant transfer the maps. All the manufacturers seem to use proprietary mapping software.