GPS, Magellan or Garmin

Nothing better than AA batteries.
I charge up a few pairs of LI batteries and they last all weekend and more. Better than a $50.00 specialty battery any day. And, they work in my flashlight, camera, tent light and radio. Garmin Etrex H is what I carry. And I like it. No mapping features though.

AAs

– Last Updated: Feb-21-08 8:27 AM EST –

I agree that AAs are better, especially for users like canoers and kayakers who may be away from a power source for a full day, or more.

If your proprietary LI battery dies on you while you're on an overnight canoe trip, you're SOL. If your AAs die, you can pop in a fresh pair. In an emergency you can steal them from your flashlight or camera.

If cost is a concern you can always buy some rechargeable NiMH AAa and an inexpensive charger. You'll get hundreds of hours out of
the batteries.

My vote is for Garmin 60CSX
I have a Garmin 60CS. The difference between the CS and the CSX is the CSX has a memory card. That is nice if you travel because you can load maps and waypoints for each location on separate cards.

I buy my gps’ from www.pcnation.com. About the best price you will find and the one time I had to call them, they were very friendly AND I could understand them!

If you want to stay around $100, I recommend the Garmin etrex H. It has the same antenna as the 60. There are no maps but it does have the track log so you can backtrack if you get lost. (Trust me, that’s a nice feature. I got off the trail once and needed the back track feature or I would have been screwed for a while.)

60CSX
" The difference between the CS and the CSX is the CSX has a memory card."

In additon to the memory card, the CSX has a SiRFstar III chipset. The CS doesn’t. This gives the CSX far better reception than the CS.

I have a 60CSX and a 60CS sitting on my kitchen table right now. The 60CSX has a strong lock on 7 satellites. The 60CS has one, barely.

For canoe/kayaking though, I would choose the Garmin 76CSX over the 60CSX because the 76CSX floats. They are identical internally and functionally, but the form factors differ quite a bit.

The 76CXS is slightly larger than the 60CSX

and has more of a boxy shape. Most people seem to prefer the form factor of the 60 line over the 76 line, so the 60 outsells the 76 by a wide margin. This is why you can often find the 76 cheaper than the 60, despite the fact that the 76 MSRP is actually higher than the 60.

But I’d hate to drop my 60CSX while boating and watch it sink slowly into the depths.

It floats!
Can’t argue with that logic. If all I wanted was a GPS for paddling, I would have invested in the version that floats. But since I wanted one that wouldn’t be too bulky for backpacking, I’ll have to make sure I use the provided lanyard or some other device to keep the 60 CSx on-board.

Garmin HCX has my vote
I use a Garmin Etrex CSX, the HCX was not available when I purchased it. If money is not an object I would have opted for 60 CSX but the legend Etrex Csx it perfect for my use (extended canoe trips). The difference main between the Etrex CSX and the HCX is the reception. The HCX has better reception at the expense of some battery time. When I purchased my legend Etrex I was debating, as you are doing, between the Garmin and the Magelan. My researched indicated that the Garmin software is superior to the Magellan software. Even then, I have found glitches in the Garmin topo map software. For example, locations miss marked, major rivers disappearing into small streams. Trails and features missing. The GPS has spoiled me when doing lake travel (BWCA). Usually, before leaving, on my PC at home using Map Source software, I map out the entire route including camp sites, portage location and mile markers. When done, I download all the info on the MicroSd chip in GPS and I am good to go. I have mounted the GPS on my thwart using a Garmin marine mount and once I engage the route tracking it is like following a yellow road. I never have to take out my map or compass and I know exactly where I am. Now, I am not saying it is a substitute for a map and compass; after all it has batteries and can fail or even fall in the water (water proof does not mean it float). Also keep in mind there is a step learning curve, the many features can be overwhelming at first.

Have fun

Size 60 vs 76 vs eTrex
If size is a chief consideration the eTrex line is a better choice. The new eTrex H series is every bit as good as Garmin’s 60 and 76 series. The only real advantage the 60 and 76 have is if you use them in a car. The buttons on the front are an advantage if it’s in a dashboard mount. The eTrex buttons are on the side.

Anyway, there isn’t a lot if difference between the size of the 76 and the 60. See here:

http://forums.groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=139022&st=0

Size 60 vs 76 vs eTrex
If size is a chief consideration the eTrex line is a better choice. The new eTrex H series is every bit as good as Garmin’s 60 and 76 series. The only real advantage the 60 and 76 have is if you use them in a car. The buttons on the front are an advantage if it’s in a dashboard mount. The eTrex buttons are on the side.

Anyway, there isn’t a lot if difference between the size of the 76 and the 60. See here:

http://forums.groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=139022&st=0