GPS Purchase Advice Requested

And…
the MAP76 is absolutely, completely waterproof. Mine is submerged on most every trip and if it’s been in salt water I hose it down to get the salt off.

76CSX
I have the Map 76 CSx and I love it. On my last trip, it spent about 45 min submerged in a river while the canoe was pinned on a rock. Kept on working just fine.

I have a 1gig chip in it, and have all the topo maps that Garmin will allow (they have a ‘segment’ limit that doesn’t even fill half of the chip). The topo maps show all the inland water I’m likely to paddle. If you paddle coastal areas, you can fit heaps of bluechart data on it.

USB connection to the PC, EXCELLENT reception (mine managed to hold a signal even while it was submerged).

I find the barometric altimeter more useful than the electronic compass, but I really only use either feature when I’m hiking or mountain biking…not so much when paddling. The Cx model would work fine, too, and save you a few bucks.

Your welcome
and thanks for the thanks!

Cheers,

jackL

CSX
The Map 76CSX and Map 60CSX are pretty much the cream of today’s consumer grade handheld.

They are internally and functionally nearly identical, but the 76 and 60’s form factor is very different. The 60 is smaller with the buttons on the bottom and it sinks. The 76 is larger, more squarish, with the buttons on the top and it floats.

They are fantastic units. Great for paddling and if you get the appropriate software they will also give you turn by turn driving directions, as well as a database of millions of services and businesses. If you need to know where the nearest gas station, marina, hotel, restaurant, post office, etc… is the unit will tell you where and give you directions there.

They also accept topo maps which are better for paddling.

any gps?? NOT SO

– Last Updated: Jul-05-07 9:46 AM EST –

Having now owned several GPS units, I will make this statement. Buy the best one your $450 can buy. Look for topomaps and NAVIONICS capabilites. Color can be nice. Once you get a GPS, you can find so many more uses for it. Buying just any cheap unit will get you back home, show your speed, etc. But once you gain capabilities to identify navigational bouys, islands, causeways, mountains, streets, restaurants, etc, there is no turning back. You can spend $100 for bare minumum, great backup nav device, but if you are budgeted to $450, take a good look at the added features. My lesser featured GPS's set at home unless my full featured model fails.
You wouldn't buy just any boat would you?
I use a Lowrance iFinder Hunt. iFinders come in many models. Choose the model with features you use most. I cannot speak to other models, but this unit has the best display of most I have seen. I am a geocacher too and I get to see a lot of units. Would not trade mine for any Garmin or eTrex I have seen so far.

Doug’s gps
Probably the forerunner 301 or 305. Good for the fitness paddler with computer graphs of workouts. Can also preprogram pace or race your virtual partner.

ANY GPS?.. hmm…
Hi,

Forgive my ignorance, but I thought "sea/ocean/water GPS units were different from the regulars you use on a car, or hiking…

AM I INCORRECT THEN?

A Pic is worth 1000 words! :slight_smile:
Thanks for the PIC. Great idea.

Great timing on another GPS threat.

I was going to just pick up an eTrex and call it done. Then the little lady bought herself a Garmin 660. I have been playing with the 660 for a few weeks now. There is no way a simple eTrex will do it now!

Also it seems that I am entering the can’t see, can’t hear, can’t … generation. That little eTrex screen has been worrying me a bit.

The Map 76 and Lowrance iFinder sound worth looking into.

Any other suggestions?

:^)

Thanx, Mick