Graduating to bigger kayak

The Kodiak is a fine boat…
…I do NOT work for Prijon nor have I ever

worked for Prijon, but I know the boats.

If you have trouble demoing one, let me know. I

may be able to help you out.

PS…
…Atlantic Kayaks in Arlington used to have

some.

I’ll agree on trying the Tempest 165 …
I didn’t really like the Chathams (16 and 17), they seemed to push water with a fairly significant bow wake. I like the Tempests a lot, particularly the 165. You could probably find a used Tempest RM for under $1,000. You might also try a Capella RM 166. These are all poly boats with skeg.

Another boat I’ve paddled that may be worth a look, but will be hard to find, is the Point 65 North Crunch. I paddled a Crunch Rocker this fall, but it would be worth trying both the Rocker and the Rocket. These boats are a little over 16’ and the plastic is a 3-layer, so they are very stiff. They are hard chined, rare for an RM boat, and they come with a rudder. The Crunch Rocker was comfortable for me at 5’8" and 195lbs. Primary stability is a little twitchy, but I’m sure seat time would cure that. It rolled easily with is low rear deck. Unfortunately, there are few retailers in the US. However, one is in VA and there is a distributor in VA as well, so you may be in luck. I believe these boats list for about $1,200.

~wetzool

Yea Prijon!!
I paddled with another paddler on a slow moving river here in Fort Worth. I was in his Calabria and he was in a Barracuda. He had no problem kicking my butt with very little effort. I know my first one is a Kodiak, Barracuda or Touryak!!! They all have great reviews in the review section.

Capella
Thanks once again to all who have contributed.

The P&H Capella RM 166 was also a recommendation from the dealer that I buy from, so it is definitely a consideration, and new is less expensive than the Tempest 165 as well. A third he recommended was the Prijon Kodiak, but I think I’m going to stick with a kayak with slightly less volume for my upgrade.

Out of curiosity, is there any feedback on Capella and Tempest comparison, either here or elsewhere?

Have a great weekend all!

second the kodaik
Kodiaks are fast, stable, and good tracking boats.

I would take my kodiak on the Yukon River Quest knowing it would get me to the end with no problems.

It was my backup boat to my Q700 when we went to the yukon the past two years

I have raced my kodiak in several long races from 12 to 100 miles and had a 26.2 mile race that I finished in 4:57 on the cane river lake in 2004, no current and a headwind on the last two miles.

I often leave my q700 at home and use the kodiak, and still have to stop and wait for most composite kayaks to catch up.

the kodiak will get you there and back fast. Especcially when there is a thunderstorm rolling in and you want to get to shore NOW.

Bill Reitzer-Smith

try a prijon seayak
we went with the kodiak originally because we couldn’t quite get our thighs into the seayak

P&H Capella v. Tempest
Here are a couple of things to look at when you check out both boats:

1. Deck fittings…are they drilled through the kayak or molded in?

The P&H Capella RM uses the same high quality recessed deck fittings that you find on their composite version. Moreover, the fittings are held in place with brass inserts that are molded into the kayak…so there are no holes in the deck, and no screws/nuts poking through to snag dry bags in your hatches.

2. Bulkheads. Are they foam or welded plastic?

P&H uses plastic bulkheads that are welded in, then sealed, rather than a piece of closed cell foam. The result is a bulkhead that is stronger, and adds to the structural integrity of the boat.

3. Hatches. What quality are they?

P&H uses Kajaksport hatches, which are pretty much accepted as one of the best on the market. A number of other companies (mostly here in the US) have skimped on hatches, so buyer beware!

4. Material. Is the boat single or triple layer poly?

The Capella is a triple-layer polyethelene which sandwiches a foam core between two hard poly skins. This process produces a stiffer boat without adding weight. The boat will feel more robust…isn’t prone to denting and flexing the way a single-layer poly boat is.

I think you’ll find the P&H is just a better built boat.

Ultimately, what matters most is your comfort on the water…paddle it, then decide. You will find that the Tempest does have a pretty comfy seat though…but, then again, are you buying a kayak or seat? That’s what foam is for!

Happy boat hunting!

yaktalk, I’m a Prijon guy, too

– Last Updated: Jan-24-07 8:13 PM EST –

Like many of the above posters, I enjoy Prijons. I have owned Capris, and currently own two Barracudas, two Kodiaks, and one Calabria.

Yanoer and I did an archived test paddle of Barracuda v. Kodiak, I will link it here if I can find it on Pnet. Both are fast, and I think the comments and times of williamr above really speak to the Kodiak's impeccable speed and durability.

The Barracuda is thinner beamed, v hulled and has a smaller cockpit (the Kodiak and your Calabira have identical cockpits), so if you wanted to stick with Prijon quality, including the plastic, but have a more form fitting anc challenging boat, the Cuda is it.

There were great deals to be had (one online and one at a local retailer), and although I already owned one of each, I bought another one of each. I know, nutty, but you know, I fugured I can always resell them if needed, and now I have a "spare". For instance, I might Pac Action Sail Rig one of my Kodiaks.

JC, and anyone else, if you wish to meet and test paddle either a Kodiak or Cuda, let me know If anyone desires to buy either of these boats, you can pay precisely what I paid (I still have the receipts), $999. They are brand new, not used when I bought them, and I paddled them maybe 6 times total. I noticed online that--like all rotomolded kayaks in 2007--the prces have gone up. In Paddlers magazine Buyers Guide, out this week, they are both abouy $1700 new now.

Paddle on JC, other paddlers with also great advice, and all you Prijon mavens. True what swordfish wrote, you should not downgrade your plastic by buying a rotomolded rather than HTP hull.

CoolDoc, I’ll buy the Barracuda
Anybody available to transport from Illinois to Michigan?

Capella
I recently upgraded to a longer boat, too. Definitely try a Capella 166RM. I tried one at a demo last spring, and loved it from the moment I sat in it. I tried several other boats that day, but kept coming back to the Capella. It is a quality boat, as others have said, and I find it very comfortable. I paddle mostly in Lake Huron, and there is usually choppy water, but I think it’s very stable. It does have a skeg, but I’ve felt comfortable enough to take pictures while on the water. Also, I think it’s in your price range. The last I checked, it was about $1500.

Huh Celia
Look, your world is BCU and local club influence. I’ve paddled with your husbands guru and remember when another of your gurus was getting started. That’s all great, and I’m happy that you guys love paddling so much. But, your world is not representative of global paddling! OK. Take care and keep after that combat roll!

Look at a Cap 160, not Cap 166
If you are looking at Temp 165, you should be looking at a Capella 160, not 166. The 160 and the 165 are a more similar fit and the 166 offers a much more spacious cockpit than either the Cap 160 and Temp 165.

where

– Last Updated: Jan-27-07 9:56 AM EST –

in Michigan? I could transport to Northern Wisconsin, after Canoeacopia. So if it's in the UP.... C-Doc is going to Canoeacopia too.

Best Wishes
Roy

Champaign environs to Ann Arbor (NM)