Great Forward Stroke Video Link - Zsolt

The Speed of the Ocean
There is a speed threshold, that once one is able to meet, opens up a huge increase in performance. Once one is able to consistantly match the Speed of The Ocean, one can steal its energy for great gains in speeds and distance traveled relative to energy spent.

During my first couple of seasons paddling (QCC700) without a rudder and with a standard paddle I could occasionally catch a wave, but it would take a huge energy burst to catch the wave and a lot of energy to not broach. I was good for a small number of rides before having to fall back into normal paddling pace, letting the potential rides roll past me. Even catching and staying on power boat wake was challenge, but usually worth it if traveling exactly in your direction.

Once I committed to a wing paddle and rudder (also in a QCC700) a few years back, I could suddenly more easily paddle at the speed of the ocean. Typical ocean waves in the 1- 3 ft range seem to move at around 7 - 10 mph. The wing with rudder allows me to catch and stay on these waves linking up surfing rides over long passages. I have frequent rides at 10+ mph and have even hit 15 mph when jumping from a wind wave to an ocean roller. With a rudder I can stay straight on the waves and even work a wave diagonally while looking over my shoulder for the next hopefully larger wave to come through. The average speeds during these long downwind runs are typically 7 - 8.5 mph for an hour or more. I am even faster than most power boat wake and quickly catch it from behind and paddle through it without giving it much thought as it usually slows me down. The exception being when I can ride boat wake diagonally toward my destination which is now quite easy thanks to a rudder.

This huge breakthrough in average speed potential is only made possible by the use of the wing paddle and rudder which suddenly allows one to travel at the same speed as the ocean. Furthermore the rudder allows one to to stay on the waves for longer while maintaining a strong forward stroke.

I just don’t think most sea kayakers are aware of this breakthrough. Most talk about average speed paddled for an hour or two and the occasional sprint speed, but once one can more easily match the speed of the ocean, a huge increase in average speed and fun is at your fingertips. The wing paddle and the rudder are keys to this breakthrough.

me 2
as far as paddling conditions, I would love the R just cause its a dryer ride compared to the X, but being a college student I’ll take what I can get.

If your ever up around plymouth mass lookin to do some fast paddling, send me an email.

Ben

Well I agree with Q700 and rudder
as being great for catching waves, but a wing too? I use a Werner Ikelos and have no probelm catching and riding waves.

No
but SF Bay can get (is usually) very crowded, do be advised.

Dogmaticus

I don’t really disagree with you
There are better ways of going fast, better boats, better tech, better paddles, better fitness. However, it’s not the only way of paddling. Keep it up, your strong opinions are certainly useful and enertaining around here.

Dogmaticus

More than you think
"I just don’t think most sea kayakers are aware of this breakthrough. Most talk about average speed paddled for an hour or two and the occasional sprint speed, but once one can more easily match the speed of the ocean, a huge increase in average speed and fun is at your fingertips. The wing paddle and the rudder are keys to this breakthrough."

If the wind or seas are in your direction of tour, great! If not, bummer. I know lots of paddlers that excel at running down waves without a rudder, QCC, Huki or wing paddle. I appreciate your enthusiasm, but they are not essential tools. Judgement is.

Dogmaticus

Strongly agree
I am glad some one else pointed this out.

A rudder and wing paddle may make it easier to “match the speed of the ocean” but are by no means essential and can be replaced with technique.

My slow, heavy, british, skeg kayak can do it with an EP or GP for extended periods without huge ammounts of work from me. This allows me to be more versatile with what else I want to do on the water. Also what I learn from this combination of kayak and paddle helps me a lot when I am in my skinny, ruddered kayak using wing paddles.