Great interview with Derek Hutchinson

Typo, should be ‘legit’

– Last Updated: Oct-12-07 12:49 AM EST –

I took Derek to perhaps mean that it would prevent fluttering. Of course the GP doesn't flutter if it is canted properly.

What's the effect of the bump on the Aleut paddle? Derek may have been saying that it might have the same benefit on the GP.

Of course, I don't really know what he was thinking, other than that he was surprised that people haven't tried a bump on the GP. I thought the possibility of a bump down the GP was interesting since it works on the AP.

Paul

Alternative history
http://www.chicagokayak.com/kayak_%20history.htm

The modern sea kayaks can trace their ancestry via two paths. The first type are those kayaks that are close copies of the Southwest Greenland kayaks.

In the summer of 1959, Ken Taylor made a private one-man expedition to Western Greenland and brought a kayak back to Scotland. This particular kayak excited special interest because it was a more moderate example of the West Greenland type.

This kayak has been copied a number of times, most noted being the kayak built by Geoff Blackford in 1971. Blackford redesigned the boat to fit his own particular dimensions, retaining the upturned stern, and ending up with a plywood model 17 ft (5.2 m) long with a 21 in. (533 mm) beam. In all other respects the craft was identical to Ken Taylor’s boat.

Blackford’s craft was used as the plug for a fiberglass mould and eventually found its way to Frank Goodman of Valley Products who went into commercial production under the name ‘Anas Acuta’.

A noted British mountaineer and exponent of outdoor education, Colin Mortlock, proposed an expedition along the Arctic fiords of Norway to Nordkapp, the northern-most cape of Europe. Mortlock and his team paddled the Anas Acuta kayaks around the Isle of Skye but believed that a new sort of boat would be needed, one that could take huge quantities of supplies without losing too much manoeuvreability and seaworthiness.

Eventually Frank Goodman came up with a kayak design, having a basis in the West Greenland kayaks, but incorporating elements of standard boat design, with a round bilge capable of the extra payload required, and the ‘Nordkapp’ was born. Many modern boats can trace their design lineage from this root.

The second line of descent for modern kayaks is that of the ‘Rob Roy’ kayaks.

The McGregor “canoe” was built in 1865 to resemble what John McGregor thought he had seen when looking at sketches of Eskimo kayaks. In shape and size it is fairly similar to a Coaster. The Kleppers were also of a similar style. Many of the kayaks designed in the Pacific Northwest of North America have their roots in this basic shape.

If the designs of the Greenland and Alaskan kayaks are studied, it is obvious that there are a wide range of designs. Each has evolved as suitable for the region that it comes from. From this one can see why some designs are popular in one region and not in another, the Nordkapp style in Britain and New Zealand and the beamier, flatter boats in northwestern North America. Even in a country as small as New Zealand there can be regional preferences, a highly rockered boat in the north and flatter, lower windage boats in the South Island, for example.

Wood and wood/fabric were common up until 1950’s when fiberglass was introduced. This was followed by plastic in 1984, the Chinook being the first of the rotomolded boats.

Yeah, but
he’s got that low brace turn totally down!

And quite an expeditioner in his earlier days from what I’ve heard.

Paul

“Bump” on Aleut
Depends on your Aleut, and how you use it.

Can’t speak for other Aleuts, but mine works both ways. It’s like having two paddles in one.

With ridge aft it functions like the dihedral power face on many euros (and Toksook) -and provides the sort of “increased stability” thing Mr. Hutchinson is talking about (what he doesn’t tell you about is what other good stuff you trade away by using dihedral to get that). Used this way, the Aleut is sort of in between euro/GP (as some also describe the Toksook). I still have it canted a bit, though less than GP. This feels better at mid to low angles - and slow to moderate speeds (under 4 knots) but will work reasonably well higher and faster for short periods as needed. Also good for sloppy water and towing. All of this fits how most are likely to be using them - and fits what they know/have felt in other paddles - so it likely feels “right” and is why many use it this way.

With flatter face aft a different stroke is required. More of a Wing/GP hybrid (best I can describe here - really it’s own stroke). Higher angle, with flare to the stroke like a wing (and some cant, but again less than GP) -but arms a bit closer in and punching across a little lower than full wing stroke. Flare (and slight cant) take care of any instability issues. At first it feels much less supportive and reassuring than the other way, but once you get it dialed in it offers plenty. Less intuitive at first, but worth playing around with until it clicks. Using it this way feels best at mid to high angles and at moderate to high speeds (4 knots+) Will work OK lower and slower too - but why when you can just flip it over for that. For me, this is where the Aleut is really fun, and reveals better speeds than GP with a bit less effort.

It rolls fine either way. With some attack angle it reminds me a bit of rolling with a wing. Without it’s a little weird (but mines blades are only 3" - and have less volume/buoyancy than my GPs).

At first I used it about 50/50 each way, and now much more in high gear - say 80/20. Makes sense as I paddle an empty kayak, and I think the dual mode thing would favor using it one way unloaded (to reach/scout hunting areas quickly) and the other way when loaded (after a successful hunt). Note that the Toksook is developed/promoted by a man with an expedition load mindset and does not understand paddling unloaded kayaks…

Last point, I don’t like using the Aleut with my Greenland SOF. GP is a much better match for it (go figure!) It’s a crunch vs. rotation thing due to cockpit size, beam, and leg position.

In the other world I move around in-
the hiking world- there are legends/greats, the men like Wingfoot, Seiko, Baltimore Jack. They are trail legends mostly in their own minds and usually have only multiple thru-hikes to establish their own worth to themselves. Nevertheless they promote the sport ruthlessly and defend the trail. They are like a beautiful tree, a tree that can also fall on you or your house and ruin the day.

Hutchinson’s ‘Beyond the Cockpit’ is what sold my youngest daughter, she thought if this silly fat man can do that well then so could she.

In the end/bottom line he’s an old man, give him room to inflate his chest and thump it a bit.

I don’t see how a raised spine
down the middle of a greenland paddle would have any advantages. I used an aleut paddle for a year and when I tried a greenland paddle I couldn’t believe what a difference there was between the two paddles. The aleut paddle, when paddled with the spine as the power face didn’t want to flutter. The greenland paddle offered much more bite to the paddle strokes when used with a canted stroke and I could apply power to my stroke much sooner with the greenland paddle without ventilation. The pointy tip on the aleut paddle ventilated very easily if you weren’t careful not to apply power too soon. The greenland paddle sculls much better also. These characteristics will likely differ from paddler to paddler but I felt that the aleut paddle was a mix between the euro paddles and the greenland paddle and not offering any of the benifits of the two. I haven’t tried a Toksook paddle but would like to. I guess if a certain paddle works for you thats all that matters.

Used as you were using yours…
… with ridge aft - I agree with your assessment of it being sort of between a euro and GP (as with Toksook).

I find there’s more to it than that and a lot to be gained from flipping it over, at least there is with mine (see post above) - I’m sure there’a lot of variation.

I’ve seen several old photos now showing ridge forward - and it paddles very differently this way. If this “correct”, then Mr Hutchinson has designed hois wonder paddle with two back faces! L

I think it works both ways - and on purpose, but just what I’ve found - not something with sources, citations, etc.

I haven’t noted ventilation issues either way - and was thinking the point helped this - but mine is also pretty narrow. It was a bit noisier then GP for me at first on catch, but that went away pretty quick. Took me longer to get a quieter release - and finding it changed my stroke and got me liking it even more…

Agree on GP benefits too. An added spine would not do anything good - besides, GPs shape actually is peaked/ridged (and on both sides), just differently and more subtly…

"where are his drawings?"
on the prow of his boats

Fact: Derek H invented the internet.

Father of Modern Sea Kayaking says:

– Last Updated: Oct-14-07 9:13 AM EST –

For those that don't have time to watch the Derek Hutchinson video, I'll Cliff Note it for you here:

"The British Canoe Union is so ten minutes ago. When I left, it was pretty much over for the BCU. Do you hear anyone but the beauracrats speaking of it? No. Why? I no longer support it, even though I invented it, that's why."

"Did I tell you the story about how I invented kayaking? No? Pull up a stump."

"Look, someone needed to write a tome on the subject, you know, so it'd finally be a sport. I wrote the book on kayaking. Thus, it is a sport. (long pause) You're welcome, by the way"

"See all these boats on this beach. Yes, all these all over here. I invented them all. Yep. I designed 18 boats, did I mention that? Oh, yes, I did, didn't I. I just wanted to make sure you were listening."

"Dressing for immersion is rubbish. It's sort of like asking an airline pilot to use his parachute. It's just not done. (long pause) Does that make any sense? (no response) Well, you had to be there."

"I use an Alaskan paddle because Greenland paddles don't have a spine. Just like the Greenlanders themselves."

"I don't care what that bush whiskered man says, I invented the dry hatch, I tell you."

"In reverence to the Inuits, I called my first fiberglass boat a Baidarka, even though it was not one. It was much better than a baidarka, actually. Much."

"My first boat is in the national maritime museum. DId I tell you that? Yep, I'm proud of that. Wouldn't you be? (long pause) I'm sure you can't relate, mortal."

"I invented the all-in rescue. When one person falls in, we all get in. Everyone capsizes on purpose so that they can all help one another from the water. Try it. It's cool."

"Why all the asymetric paddles, you see, is they can charge more for them because the go ought ought ought niner kilometers faster. People love that. Personally, I shun hype. I use a willow leaf."

"If you bought my book in soft cover, you got hosed. I could have put it in hard cover and charged you the same. Yep, true story. But my publisher said you, the buyers, are ignorant and would prefer to pay more for a soft cover. So I told him, 'Go with it'."

"In the U.K, we haven't got flatwater like this. Look at this. We paddle in the sea, for Christ's sakes. The living sea. Look at all these Brit canoes wasted here on this flatwater lake with these so-called kayakers." (shakes head in disgust).

"If you feather with anything less than 90 degrees, you are a rookie, you see? Tenosynovitis sets in, because you should be using 90 degrees. I'm the father of modern sea kayaking. And that's that."

:wink:
We have a molasses Internet connection, and I thank you for providing the Cliff Notes.

Now, how old is DH? A certain amount of, er, crotchetiness may be due to age.

What if we just start calling him
the grandfather of sea kayaking.

Paul

Gotta admit
The guy is pretty entertaining. Hell I didn’t know who he was when I bought my first kayak…a Gulfstream. If I had known maybe I would have put up with the cavernous cockpit, realizing that I was being a silly twit in wanting something a bit more snug. Ah, it’s all good. We can rest deeply knowing that every modern kayak is basically one of his.

That is a myth
Look at:

http://www.snopes.com/quotes/internet.asp

LMAO

velly
funny, cool!

how well put.

steve

fatman cockpit
I can roll twice before my Sirocco rolls once

What is venting?

– Last Updated: Oct-13-07 4:03 PM EST –

(make that, ventilation) Appreciate the conversation on paddles. What is ventilation? What does it feel like?

Paul

Ventilation occurs when a paddle
pulls air into the water during the catch phase of the stroke. It gives a feeling like your pulling the paddle through gravel or sand. Some paddles will ventilate easier than others and it can usually be eliminated by adjusting the catch phase of your stroke. I find it helpful to get the blade buried farther before applying power to the stroke. With greenland paddles you will see a wide range of different styles of tips and some will ventilate easier than others. I like the type of tips that allow me to apply power as soon as I can.

Spoon fed
Not every word is spoken from the witness stand. Everyone has a brain. Unfortunately for some, they expect to be spoon fed.