Great Lakes retirement location advice…

Highest taxes in the State of Ohio. Shaker is home to the very wealthy to people of meager means… A very good school system(high taxes) Excellent city services…I grew up in Cleveland Heights( borders Shaker)

Again, thanks for the useful info.

In your opinion - what are some good areas near Cleveland that balance home prices, taxes and livability?

Cleveland is like every major city in the country. It has some wonderful things based on its size and comes with the downside of being a major city. Sometimes just a few blocks are like night and day.

If that is a lifestyle you like the good outweighs the bad.

One thing I have always liked about my location is we are equal distance from Cleveland, Pittsburgh & Buffalo and can be in each with a 2 hour drive so it makes going there not a overnight deal but enough of a drive you don’t want to do it all the time. We have Erie 30 minutes away and it has great hospitals and the like and all the shopping we would ever need is 15 minutes away or less. Yet our lifestyle is rural and cheap cost of living. We lock our doors but many people don’t feel the need to it is that kind of a community we like.

If Cleveland is a community you like and Ohio a state there are many such smaller rural towns each side of Cleveland close to the lake with lower cost of living and still fairly short driving times to downtown when you need it. Some with more charm and water access than others.

I’m not a Realtor…can only comment on places you might ask about