Greenland Paddle Advice

I’m
not sure where you did your research as far as paddle sizing for a Greenland paddle…for a person your size, The loom length of 24 inches seems too long. also not sure as far as hand measurement and width of the paddle. the width measurement is a tricky one, because just using a tape measure doesn’t really get it correct all the time.

I suggest that you do the club thing and try several different Greenland paddles that are being used by people your size and in kayaks the size you paddle.

I did a survey for sizing paddles for new paddlers to try as far as what to make.

it might help some

here is a link

http://www.qajaqusa.org/cgi-bin/GreenlandTechniqueForum_config.pl?md=read;id=519576

Best Wishes

Roy

Good Advice
I’m 5’7" also, and I use 86" paddles with a 21" loom, which suits me perfectly. Try a few beofre you buy/build, and see what really works for you.

Another thing to check out is the GP forward stroke article on QajaqUSA’s website - it’s VERY good. A canted stroke with a GP is very useful, and a lot more power than you’d think.

Look here too …

– Last Updated: May-19-11 11:59 AM EST –

http://www.rollordrown.com/kayak/woodgp.html

Another person who favors a longer loom.

I just want to mention that you do not need to go fancy on your first one. Just buy a $10 2x8" by 8 or 10 feet pine board from Home Depot and carve from it. No need to laminate. You can usually find one or two boards in the pile that have a clear section in them for one or two paddles.

The point is to make something that you can get a feel for. Your next one may be lighter, stronger, more beautiful, whatever...

For me, if I want to paddle a long distance, a 21" loom seems to work well (but I'm 6'4"). I don't feel it works well enough for "hard pulling" kind of paddling, where I prefer a spacing at of least 25" b/w my hands.

As for "not a big deal to make one" I agree. If you know what you are after. The instructions mentioned above will result in a decent paddle if follwoed. But I see plenty of lousy looking and poor handling sticks for sale out there by 'commerical" builders.

On the other hand, if you get a chance to try a Lumpy (wood) or a Navorka (carbon) paddle and see AND feel the difference -;) I'm sure there are others too, I just have only tried these as good examples. Bottom-line, if the paddle looks heavy, is thick-bladed, and too squarish-looking it probably paddles that way too (though it may have certain specific use in mind that may justify some of its shortcomings)...

Don’t pull/hold hard?
“I seem to notice the flutter most when I pull hard on the paddle.”

I suspect most paddles will flutter if you hold it tight and pull hard at some point. Especially at low speeds. As folks have suggested, focus on light touch holding the paddle, finding where the paddle feels best, and relying on torso rotation as primary power source. Spending time with one of the coaches Nate mentioned will be very valuable for many reasons.

If you go to the SMSKN meeting tonight, odds are someone will be there who can tell you a great deal about using and making a GP and/or refer you to another club member who can do so.

The survey
is easier to read and has some more additions and conversions if you read it from on the Masik

http://www.qajaqusa.org/QUSA/newsletter.html

Best Wishes

Roy

Flutter

– Last Updated: May-19-11 2:12 PM EST –

I have been using a GP for over 15 years but still occasionally use a euro. I noticed that the flutter just went away. I don't know how because I never used the angle stroke and still don't. And now when I practice with a euro, that flutters.

I think there's subtle things that happens to your stroke when you use a paddle that allows your body to adapt to it in such subtle ways that it's not even noticeable except that the flutter stops. Probably a combination of things. I can pull as hard as I want with no angle on a GP and I get no flutter or rarely if I try somebody's paddle. I'm sure if I started to use the euro exclusively, all flutter would go away there too (again). I think there's more body adaptation than we realize.

I once read that when you get a new pair of shoes, it's been proven that bone angles change in the entire leg.

Advice
Wayne and Roy have some good advice, among others. I’d also guess it’s a technique-related reason that’s the problem with the Werner and maybe just a quick observation from another paddler could do a lot to help.

Any symposiums in your part of the world? A lot of them here around the Great Lakes have classes for both users of Euro and Greenland paddles. You should be able to borrow or possibly rent one just to take a beginner Greenland class and see if you even like it (you will…). But it is a different paddle and just picking one up with no instruction will lead to frustration (my experience). It’s not difficult, just a slightly different technique.

Good GP well worth it at $200
A non custom manufactured paddle of similar weight and strength is about $400 these days. If you are serious about the GP and don’t want to buy the tools and spend the time to make your own then I strongly recommend that you look up Bill at Lumpy Paddles.

If you are interested in making your own paddle then go for it. Your first one won’t be as good as one you can buy, but if you enjoy carving then you’ll like it.

Yes
Bill makes wonderful paddles as does Don Beale and Chris Raab with Tuktu paddles. These are the three I have. I am sure there are others. Each will customize to your needs and will spend the time with you to make sure you get what you are looking for.

for a first time please follow the advice above. Take the time to go paddle with a bunch of people who like to paddle with greenland paddles and see which ones “speak” to you. I agree with jay above as well that a paddle and especially a GP kind of “teaches” you how to paddle it if you loosen up and let it. With some good instruction, and getting the feel of a paddle, you will be much more aware of what you like.

Paul

Tuktu
I bought a Tuktu recently that so far I’ve only had out once, but it’s really nice. A friend made my other one and I’m surprised at the different feel between the two, even when they look fairly similar. Based on that, I’m not sure that personally I’d want to try to make one myself since I apparently don’t know much about the design of them. And, it’s just not my interest anyway. Good that there are a lot of good choices out there for those who don’t want to build one.

making a paddle
I started with kayaking recently and decided to make my own paddle. After researching both the GP and the Aleut paddle, I decided on the latter. Great project that I enjoyed mightily, works very well, and looks terrific. But this is more complex carving than the GP.

The instructions for carving a GP are ridiculously simple. A piece of decent douglas fir or redwood is very cheap, and cheap enough that if you truly screw it up you’ve lost nothing but a little time. If you can get the better cedars, so much the better.

If you have access to a wood shop with bench tools you can mock a GP up really quickly, it seems to me. Even with hand tools, this can be a one evening or two job. It’s the tung oil finishing that takes the time.

Give it a try. This way you can test out dimensions (start larger than you think you need and carve down as you try it out) at very low expense. Later you can either buy or make the finished product you want to use for years.

If you are fluttering your euro
you are gonna hate GP’s … flutter sticks…

carvegp.com?
matt Johnson has a great video online for free that shows you how to carve your gp.

http://www.carvegp.com

paul

Nope
Not if you use them correctly.

It takes time but when you finaly hit the sweet spot it’s a wonderful and efficient tool.

Gary

the paddle that never flutters
Well, for anyone looking to fix their fluttering paddles - get yourself a wing paddle. Never heard anyone complain of a wing paddle flutter.

Wing paddles just …
dive under your boat and capsize you if you use them incorrectly. :slight_smile:

yes
But, they do not flutter! :wink:

Greenland Paddle
You will hate a GP when you first try it. It will seem completely ineffective, will flutter etc.

You should force yourself to use it exclusively for at least a three hour paddle. During the first hour, it will be frustrating, during hour two, it will not be so noticable, and in hour three you will have fallen in love with it.

Don’t Waste Your Money
Don’t waste your money on the GP. I have seen so many bad reviews of them in blogs and such. Go with the Bending Branches Slice Angler. It has a hook retrieval system built right in and a tape measure sealed on the shaft. Awesome! Plus, the Angler is usually 1/3 the price of Werner paddle.

Here are 18 places in Maine to get that paddle:

http://www.bendingbranches.com/dealer-locator.php?action=search&state=22