Greenland paddle, bow rudder

take it in degrees. remember how the greenland paddle purchase was kind of surprising when you first started. it is deceptive when you start plowing a turn.
you can actually get a lot of purchase from about 3" of blade first starting out.
the more blade generally sharpens the turn and least tolerance for technique.
there are a lot of variables, lot of waterline from the cockpit to your forward reach limit.

Updating on this threadā€¦

I spent a week down on Tybee Island with an instructional group back at the end of Nov. I started with my Greenland paddle, but got smashed out of my boat on the first morning by a surf wave. And then again, twice more. Turns out, I was bracing the wrong direction, so thereā€™s that. Regardless, as mentioned earlier in this thread, I was just not getting the control out of the green stick that was required in the Tybee surf. Trying to horse my boat around in the heavy waves, I was really wearing myself out.

At the lunch break, my instructor handed me a very short and broad Werner Cyprus paddle, and then we went off to a forward stroke clinic. I felt very unstable with the shorter paddle and, coupled with my confidence hit from the morning swims, decided to switch to my Werner Kalliste with a sigh of relief.

Later that evening, I discussed my ongoing shoulder pain (deltoid muscle inflammation) with my instructor, and he stated unequivocally that my Kalliste was contributing to this. Itā€™s very long (220) and the blades are also long, which is why he suggested a much shorter shaft and blades that day. He also insists Iā€™m an ā€œarm paddlerā€, which boggles my mind, because I sure FEEL like Iā€™m twisting my torso.

The next day I brought out my wiveā€™s Werner Athena, which has a blade shape between the Kalliste and Cypress, but with a longer shaft than the one the instructor had offered. I could feel the better control in the waves due to the shorter blade, but with the longer shaft, I didnā€™t feel the same lack of control. I used the Athena throughout the week. There was no long-distance paddling in this event, just constant rough water training, so no shoulder issues either.

Now that Iā€™m home and back to long constant paddling, Iā€™m still getting the deltoid inflammation when I use a Euro blade. I think I have an actual injury, gotten when I tried to keep up with a speed demon paddler on a long tour this past fall. But interestingly, a couple weeks ago I did 12 miles with my Greenland stick without that pain. Iā€™d like to continue using the Euro blade, for the authority and speed, but the pain is saying no. I may just have to change paddles depending on conditions.

BTW, I just ordered a P&H Aries. :slight_smile:

1 Like