Greenland paddle carving

Carbon sleeve
I’ve been wanting to try something like that. What brand and size sleeve do you use, and where do you buy it? Any epoxy concerns with the foam?How do you finish the open ends?

Any other helpful hints you’re willing to share would be welcome.

Happy New Year

how to
E,

I got the sleeving from Soller composites. I think I used the 3" 12k carbon. I used 3 ply’s, with epoxy. Probably could have used two ply, it’s stiffer than a wedding dick. One ends, I trimmed after each ply, leaving about a 1/4" of bond (top and bottom coming together). I added a cap of glass before the last ply just to ensure the end wouldn"t split open. No issues with expoy on the blue board foam. Use Gorilla glue to laminate the foam blank. Helps to stack 3 layers od 1/2" foam because the glue lines help you to stay semetric with the shaping. I have some pictures of the process if you are intererested. The only tricky part _ you need to make a gig to pull the ends and hold the paddle faces in the same plane while the first ply sets up… Afrer the fist ply it’s plenty rigid . I actually vacume bagged ply 2 and 3 but it" not really needed.

Sorry for the typing but I’m on a tablet. Jw

I’ve been thinking of this method
for a couple of years. I’ve worked with CF sleeving from Soller before, but not in layup applications. I saw something like this on the Web and was dreaming of teh way to do it with a substrate like foam or even PVC and thin ply (blades). I don’t have a vacuum bagger. Can you do this successfully without one?

no vac needed.
Bart,

No you don’t really need the vaccum baggibg, in fact I couldn’t figure out how to incorporate bagging and my jig that I used to hold the paddle straight and in plan. The bagging of ply 2 and 3 only sucks out any excess epoxy. So at worst the finished paddle weighs a few grams more than one that wasn’t bagged

Sounds do-able
P-man,

Your narrative directions just about covers it. A pic of the jig in use, a closeup of the end, and an overall of the finished product would just about seal the deal. I’m assuming your paddle is black; does any of the blue core show through?

Thanks,

Glenn

video

– Last Updated: Dec-31-12 5:03 PM EST –

Glenn & Co
To save my fingers , I made a bush league video showing the paddle and some pictures of the build process .I posted it on you tube. Hopefully this answers some questions, glad to answer any other questions. Here is the link. Jw

http://youtu.be/IE9rEBt0BiU