greenland paddle question

loom diameter
The loom diameter really isn’t much of an issue, you don’t hold onto the loom anyway. I like it smaller because it’s easier for me to remind myself to hold on loosely. For me only my little finger and perhaps the next one is on the loom when paddling normally.

Bill H.

“Index Finger”?

– Last Updated: Nov-27-09 5:41 AM EST –

Bill, you meant the "index" finger, right?

"... only my little finger and perhaps the next one is on the loom when paddling normally."

But I'm interested as to why a thicker loom is so often recommended (other than flotation/strength of the paddle) and if I am missing something...

As I am sitting here at my office chair in the wee hours of the morning I am doing a little experiment (my wife who is still jet lagged from a recent trip abroad decided to use that to her advantage and go for some early morning Black Friday shopping raids). With just one finger pulling at a rather fat and round table leg (still smaller than a measured loop b/w my thumb and index finger tips though), I can forcefully pull my hand off it: my grip slips by pulling back with the strength of my arm. Trying the same on the legs of my computer table, which are less than an inch in diameter, I can't break my grip and my finger stays hooked just fine...

I have noticed that same effect paddling my GP vs. paddling my wing paddles in conditions where I have to pull very hard for an extended period of time (e.g. strong head wind). On the GP my underarms get tired eventually more compared to the thinner and oval grip on my wing paddle (the underarm is where the muscles are that keep fingers looped around the loom). It could of course be a problem with technique (since I'm far from perfect with either paddle), but the mechanics of it as I envision them seem to support my theory...

It’s a simple matter of leverage…
…exactly as Kocho explained. A larger loom (or table leg) puts pressure farther out on your fingers, which gives it more leverage to pry your fingers open. Another example of this is carrying a bucket of water. You don’t carry it with the handle on the tips of your fingers, you move the handle as close to the second knuckles as possible in order to minimize the stress on your fingers.

nope
Actually I hold on to the GP where the shoulder would be if the paddle had one. So my hands aren’t on the loom. Much more control holding it there, the loom is too narrow for a decent grip anyway.

Bill H.

Loom thickness IS important to comfort
The several Greenland paddles I’ve tried around here, and also the first one I owned, had a loom circumference of 4.5 inches. (That single dimension is easy to take, regardless of a loom’s shape.) I have unusually small hands and found, after trying one guy’s very pared down GP, that 4.25 inches was right for me. Just felt good in my hand and much better than the thicker one. So my advice would be to hold and paddle with as many GPs as you can before buying or carving your own. You might be surprised. I tried a commercial GP with a small-diameter round shaft (I think I’m remembering this right) and hated it. A rectangular (in cross section) shaft with the edges rounded makes indexing the paddle easy. I started out with a shoulderless paddle and it was absolutely no problem knowing where the blades were in relation to the water, even when I was upside down (which is when you want to have that piece of information). Comfort is a big deal. We all have different preferences. So try a bunch, including those with different loom thicknesses. I will say that my light paddle with the thin loom is not one I’d choose for surfing. And when I paddle with the thin paddle, I usually carry a spare, just in case.

G in NC

thanks
Checked in after T-day. My head is sort of spinning - you guys are talking about things that are confusing given my beginner Greenland paddle status. A brief update - the paddle is coming along nicely - I figure the worst case scenario is I hate it and hang it on the wall for decoration.

So next question - good places to visit on-line or via video for greenland paddle technique? Robin

thanks
Checked in after T-day. My head is sort of spinning - you guys are talking about things that are confusing given my beginner Greenland paddle status. A brief update - the paddle is coming along nicely - I figure the worst case scenario is I hate it and hang it on the wall for decoration.

So next question - good places to visit on-line or via video for greenland paddle technique? Robin

A good place to start…
This entire site is a great place to start (and to continue your G-style learning; including good forums), but here’s the page that can get you started with online video clips and links to videos/books you can purchase:

http://www.qajaqusa.org/Technique/Technique.html

Site homepage:

http://www.qajaqusa.org/

Melissa

check this site too
http://www.greenlandorbust.org/

This site is from Helen Wilson, 2008 Greenland Women’s Champion. Loaded with info plus a Q&A section.

Cheers…Joe O’

http://www.joeoblenis.com/

Sizing is the fun part
of greenland paddles. Every paddler is different and so will the paddle measurements that they prefer. The best way to find out what measurements work best for you is to try many different paddles. Making greenland paddles is fairly easy and is a great way to find what works for you. Don’t get stuck on, a greenalnd paddle has to be a certain dimension. It’s all about what works best for you.