Greenland Paddle Speed

Greenland paddle
The GL paddle is addictive. As you become friends with it, you will appreciate the little sublities. They require a modification of your stroke, but as you progress with them, you won’t go back. You have to realize that the GL paddle has been 1000 years in development. The Euro has only been around for about 60 years. Give it time, and it will evolve too.

Keep this up
and it won’t be too long before you give up the Euro altogether. Really, why be so tired in the first place? The GP is easier on the body, much easier in wind, way more fun rolling, and aesthetically more pleasing. Spend some time on http://www.qajaqusa.org/cgi-bin/GreenlandTechniqueForum_config.pl and you’ll see a lot of stuff on GP technique. To progress with the GP you’ll have to unlearn some EP habits, and this process is not helped by switching back and forth. Have you started the GP roll progression yet? Once you do, if you’re like many of us, that’ll be the end of the EP.

Wing
I have played with one and attended a clinic that did a paddle stroke analysis with one as well as the Euro. One reason you get the paddle out away from the boat is to avoid the turbulence of the boat wake. You want to be pulling in solid water. This philospphy of paddle usage came before the invention of the wing blade. Many racer type of paddlers use this stroke even with a Euro. I’m far from an expert on it. Making a scooped blade for more purchase goes all the way back to the Inuits.

No doubt, the refinement of the wing blade shape accomodates the paddle stroke well. If the wing blade was a perfect spoon shape, it would not release well so the slant section adapts to the release.

You’re right, in that it’s not just trying to get more water. But in many ways, the more water they could hold in a small shape was a goal. They had to deal with the release part.

Euro…
Still are some things I like the Euro for…I find it easier to do precise bow rudders, side slips, low brace turns, etc.

Ironically I am also more comfortable sculling and rolling with it. As a result I still think I will lean to the Euro for rough water and surf, but that may change.

Matt

Keep practicing with the GP
You’ll find that bow rudders, side slips, draws on the move, low brace turns, etc all work just fine with the GP.

It will take a bit of time to get used to it though. Plan on spending several months paddling with it exclusively—then you’ll never go back to a Euro.

what he said
all these work as well or better with a gp than an EP, and they are easier because you don’t have to worry about feather, concavity of the blade face, wind catching the upper blade, and can work easily with paddle extended when it is to your advantage. Unless I was a super surfer like Sing or was a real powerful kayaker spending a lot of time towing in tidal races and could take advantage of a big blade face like Nigel Dennis–neither of which is true for me–can’t think of any advantage to the EP over the GP.

Just an observation
GP’s and Wing paddles encourage / force good technique more than a euro paddle. Also most of us learnt with Euro Paddles and so probably have many bad habits to overcome, which we get away with more easily using the Euro Paddle.

Before you make any decisions regarding paddle religion make sure that any increase in performance or decrease in effort is not just a result of better technique.

The time, effort, $$$$ you spend learning a new paddle will certainly benefit you in the long run as cross training always does but put the same effort in to your current paddle and you will also benefit.

Even better stop treating it like a religion in the first place, some things are much easier with an open mind. Continuing to use multiple implements continues to make me a better paddler and increases the fun I have.

Paddle Religion
I am not really one of those guys who is subscribes to paddle religion. I just am discovering some new things by using this GP.

I too believe that there is synergy that can be gained from cross training.

I probably will plan to use both paddles in the future rather than picking one or the other and sticking to it. Using both adds some variety and probably will make you a more well rounded and better paddler in the long run.

Matt

Good point

– Last Updated: May-02-07 1:08 PM EST –

Many EP's have been designed to allow for poor technique. Many have a dihedral power face, which helps eliminate flutter.

Both of my EP's have flat power faces, and don't have the "training wheels" effect --- you have to use them correctly. One is a Lightning. Great paddle, even if it is an EP ;-) , and I lent it to someone who uses a Werner one day, and she remarked that she couldn't stop it from fluttering, and asked how I could paddle with such a stick. I just replied "correctly". I went on to explain further about the differences in blade shape and such, and she understood, but still wanted her Werner back.

I have a Werner WW paddle as well, and that has a dihedral power face. Considering I only occasionally paddle WW, I do appreciate "training wheels" then. I would likely be fine with a flat blade, but hey, I already own the paddle.

Wayne

GP’s and wings
My personal experience with GP’s is pretty much nil- I have paddled exclusively with a wing for several years. However, I’ve been in races where people used GP’s, and were surprisingly fast. One guy last year in the Two Harbor’s race was very fast with it- as I passed him on my ski, I remember thinking “this is taking a long time, much longer than with any of the people using Euro paddles”.

It definitely seems to me that the GP stroke is much more like a wing stroke, much more torso. I’d like to get a GP, but I don’t have a regular boat. Why does that matter? Because another important benefit of the wing is the powerful brace built into each stroke- allows you to paddle much tippier boats than you otherwise could. (I know some Greenlanders paddle very narrow boats- I have a lot of respect for their skills!!)

Andrew

Stroke
There are similarities, mostly because GP’s and wings work by generating thrust in a similar fashion — like a propeller blade does on a power boat by slicing through the water.

In fact, a standard wing stroke works surprisingly well with a GP. I play with that from time to time. It’s good to experiment.

Great Thread
I had the pleasure of paddling for the first time with a Greenland paddle last year while I was in Alaska. In short, I was blown away by how I was able to maintain the same pace as with my Euro paddle but with much less fatigue. What really shocked me was how easy it was to get the stroke down, it took no time at all. I haven’t used one since but this thread has me thinking about it again!

That was my buddy Chris…
He was the one who was using the GP and held a pretty good speed for a sea kayak. I’m considering racing in the Two Harbors race this year and I keep going back and forth between the wing and the GP. Who knows, you may see two of us out there this year with skinny sticks! :slight_smile:

Wing/GP stroke not different to EP
I keep hearing the misconception that GP’s and Wings use some magic “lift”, “propeller” etc. principal that is not available to EP paddlers. Properly performed the EP stroke is also like a wing / GP (or are they the same as an EP my understanding is the wing was designed to emphasis what was/is efficient about EP’s)and for the same reasons.

It can/should also use propeller rather than paddle wheel principals. As previously stated GP / wing paddles just make it harder to use bad technique.

Be

– Last Updated: May-02-07 2:05 PM EST –

very, very careful.....word on the street is that Mark Rodgers is going to be there doing a harpoon throwing demo.......don't wear a mottled brown tuilik :)

Best Always
Roy

oh...good luck paddling against "Iron Man Chris"

i’ll look for you
I’ll be on a white and blue Mako 6, somewhere behind Erik Borgnes…

You should also think about doing the Midnight Sun races on June 23rd in Duluth. Very good time.

af

I misspoke
EP’s do work on the same principle, but not to the extent that GP’s and wings do. GP’s are more reliant on the effect, and wings are very reliant on it.

EP’s as we have both said generally are more tolerant of bad technique, and can (and often are) be used like paddlewheels. I find that if I cant the blade on my Lightning and use a more GP-like stroke, it works fine. It also responds well to a more orthodox euro stroke. Being flat-bladed, it flutters like crazy if I try to use it like a shovel. It’s sort of a compromise between a dihedral EP and a GP. Probably why I like it…

It’s a a matter of degree, really.

lol, we’re all gonna be behind Erik!
That dude is fast. Actually my wing blade that I’m currently using is one of Erik’s old blades that I bought from him. I’ll be paddling in blue Nigel Foster Silhouette and I’ll wave as you pass me. :slight_smile: I’m thinking wing paddle if I do the short race and a GP if I do the long race. It depends where my fitness (and tendonitis) is at by the end of summer. I’ll definitely keep the Duluth race in mind as well.

erik
wins big national races with world class paddlers in them. i don’t have any illusions about beating him. i think i can compete with the rest of the guys out there, although kevin leroy was very, very strong last time. i sort of bonked though, so i’d like another shot at him on a better day.

af

Paddling technique…
Interesting that some have commented that the GP is finicky with technique. I found it to be the opposite.

Unlike a Euro blade I found that I almost immediately could pick up the “proper” technique with the GP. While it may be unforgiving to poor technique, it very quickly “teaches” you the correct technique it would seem (based on my limited experience). Can’t say this for the Euro blade.

In short, the Euro may be easier for beginners, but is also harder to master. The GP may be harder for beginners, but seems easier to master with a good paddling foundation given that it really seems to tell you when you are using it right and when you are using it wrong.

Of course I fully admit that I am a GP ammateur, but so far I think that the paddle has given me outstanding feedback on how to use it. I already feel very comfortable with it. Feels more forgiving to me than the Euro blade.

Matt