greenland style paddle

One drawback
Everyone thinks you can perform lots of different rolls - perfectly.

paddle choice after shoulder surgery

– Last Updated: Feb-15-10 9:05 AM EST –

While using Greenland paddles may presently be considered a fad, they have a history of thousands of years of use in the most demanding conditions. Those who try them and don't find them to their liking can go back to the historically more recent fad (160 years) of Euro blades.

I had three hours of shoulder reconstruction in 04 and find Greenland or Aleutian paddles are much easier on my shoulder. No aches after 3 or 4 hours of paddling-Euro paddles cause an aching shoulder after a few hours of paddling. If you like using a euro paddle and don't have any issues with using them, continue paddling with your prefered euro paddle. However, if your body starts talking to you after paddling, try a Greenland paddle-what do you have to lose?

I used canoe paddles when canoeing for 4 decades-still have a large collection of them. Now my rebuilt shoulder aches if I try to use one, so I don't. Many people with rebuilt shoulders find sustained movement with hand positions above shoulder height cause problems. That "rule" applies for me while using canoe paddles when my upper grip hand is on the side of my rebuilt shoulder . High angle double blading in kayaks is also out. You can call me a "lilly dipper" for my low angle stroke, I don't care. I'm still paddling at 64 with a rebuilt shoulder and planning to paddle for many years to come.

Babying my shoulder to be able to keep paddling for another decade or two is far more important to me than making a statement through the implement I choose to use for paddling.

Dave

GP easier to roll with

– Last Updated: Feb-16-10 9:46 AM EST –

Many paddlers find it easier to roll with for two major reasons:

1. you are holding the blade which give you an automatic index as to the blades. Whereas on a round shaft feathered paddle, if you loose your grip, you have to figure that out one way or another. Experienced paddlers will argue, "I have no problem with that at all". Yea, but you're experienced. Beginner rollers with a GP can't believe how easy it is.

2. since the blade is extended and you hold it near the end, it is not suspended over the boat which allows for a flatter angle to the water and much easier maneuverability under water as well. That flatter angle gives you much more purchase.

The GPs shape is very deceiving since with many maneuvers you extend it holding the far end of the blade which gives you a lot more power than if you maintained a center grip like most euro uses do.

BTW: I use a euro on occasion too.