hand held GPS

eTrax waterproofness
I’ve been lucky. My eTrax seems to be quite good at handling water (splash). I’ve got it all wet during a surf launch and it continue to work for the rest of the weekend trip. I’ve dumped it in the water before too, and when I openned the battery compartment, I didn’t seen any water.

The connector port is also another weak spot. The cover isn’t waterproof either. The dunking it took got mine all caked with salt! Though after cleaning it, it continues to work. So far, so good.

My GPSMAP76 has been submerged many
times. Sees at least some moisture on it every time out. So far no troubles. I do NOT keep it in a dry bag. It has survived rescue practice sessions exposed on deck. It have also tested it to be sure it really floats.

Do check the battery compartments on any unit after use though. A tiny drop of salt water won’t do much right away. Left for a week it’s all over.

Is your Etrex the yellow one?
How do you work the magic to get a large display?

Or are you refeering to the screen were you can change the mile schedule?

My wife’s Map 76 has a much larger readout than the Etrex.

JackL

Mounts for GPSMAP76 and eTrex
is available also. They have several mounts for this unit - Marine, Auto, handlebar, etc. Very handy.

Most have adjustable angle and rotate in base. Very compact. Cradle stays on (and has pins that lock into) unit and snaps into base which can go right on deck (Smooth edges and low profile) or be mounted to something flat and slipped under deck bungees. I even used it just trapped by the bungees fora while before I commited to the glued on mounting.

With auto mount you don’t have to drill - it uses a very strong adhesive. The Portable and friction mounts should slip under deck bungees with no adhesive or holes.

For GPSMAP76 series:

http://shop.garmin.com/accessories_for_product.jsp?sku=010-00249-00

For eTrex series:

http://shop.garmin.com/accessories_for_product.jsp?sku=010-00190-00

Spend the $
to ensure that the one you get is waterPROOF, and also FLOATS. Many folk on the board have posted regarding etrex water damage that was not covered under warranty. Apparently the battery cover is the main culprit.

I dont work for thales navigation (blah blah blah) but do have a magellan meridian. It has proven waterproof and floatable many times. I’m told the higher end garmin models (map 76 etc) do just fine when dunked also. Take the time to read all the way through the specs on the web site, they are usually enlightening, if somewhat hard to find.

I am one of those who is …
…on my third Etrex due to water leakage.

they will repair it or send you a new one if it is under the warrantee period.

The only problem is the new one’s warrantee will continuue from the date that the old one was shipped to you.

The problem is not with the battery compartment.

The glue that seals the black piece that is around the sides, evidently dries out from bing in the sun or whatever, and the water leaks in through there.

I found a good pliable water proof bag made by Ewa-marine that you can work the buttons through, and I have not have any problems since using that.

You are right about the higher end models. My wife has never had a problem with her Map-76.

Cheers,

JackL

Etrex
I’ve got the Legend, the blue one. To swich to large display:

1. Go to Trip Computer
  2. At the very top of the display are two small blocks with what looks like pages on them. Go to the one on the left and select it with the “joystick?”.
  3. You should get a pull down menu. Mine says:

Reset

Large Numbers

Restore Defaults
  4. Select Large Numbers.

Rino 120
I’ve got 2 Rino 120s and I like them.

THey’ve beeen completely submerged a few times in the water with no ill effects.

I highly recommend them.

Older unit
I’ve an older model, the Magellan 410 GPS.

Advantages:

Tough as nails, adjustable and augmentable antenna, dual cell o-ring sealed battery compartments that will continue to power the unit even if one cell fails, reasonable and easily used maping capacity, big front mounted buttons, adjustable contrast for screens and a bright backlight screen for night use.

Disadvantages:

Old, so slow to develop screen images, not WAAS, large in size - quite heavy (powered on 4 AA cells and was built with a very heavy rubberized body), and an energy hog (4 AA batteries will only deliver about 10 hours of service in moderate temps, less at low temps).

Summary:

Wonderful value for a mapping GPS when size and weight are not a concern. More suitable for people powered craft (where a few extra seconds to resolve a map is not a critical issue). Selectable preferences, optimize unit for land or marine navigation. Extensive owners manual but owners can achieve functional capability after a brief orientation, (I’ve yet to plow through the entire manual). AA battery source is readily available and one would be wise to carry sufficient spares (at one point I’ve swapped out a pair of batteries from a spare flashlight to power up one of the two cells). Model only available on the secondary market so check postings and ebay (many “salesman samples” seem to be floating about for under $100). I’m quite happy with the practicality and durability of my unit.

OK

– Last Updated: Apr-07-04 10:36 AM EST –

On the yellow one, (plain old Etrex) the display is small, and there is no way to make it bigger.
cheers,
JackL

Etrex
Interesting that Garmin doesn’t list the Etrex under their marine section.

people are nuts…
…what they’re paying on ebay for used GPS’s with no warranty of any kind. If you can get one for half off retail, that’s maybe worth taking a chance, but to save $10 or $20…hey, I’m cheap, but not THAT cheap!!

Yup!
I buy stuff off eBAy, but not used electronics! Some is new - and may have full warrantee - but when stuff bids up that close to retail - I just go to the store!

I like eBay for the odd stuff that comes up, and have scored some clearance items.

Also like selling there. Two boats, paddle, float, thigh cusion… All sold first time listed. Results like that are worth the fees (including the PayPal fees).

Rino 120