Has anybody paddled the Nelo 520S or the Epic V5?

@DrowningDave said:
I love it. It’s the elite version so it’s very light, fits like a glove, tracks like a missle and is very fast. If I had to say one minor issue its that it has a higher deck then many skis so therefore it can catch the wind it off angles. The high decks also means it won’t bury itself into a wave.
I went from an HPK to this ski and the learning curve surprised the heck out of me. Now that I’ve “mastered” it I would never go back.

Agreed. The fit is unbelievable.

OK, I pulled the trigger and staked my claim on a Nelo 520 S. :o

I am a goner now…after 9 years of not wanting a new boat. New boat, new paddle, possibly some fancy shorts (fancy pants?) to avoid the chafing.

Going to sell my Pilgrim Expedition and the SK-specific gear such as sprayskirts, pump, “Lil Britches” spare paddle keeper, towbelt, two Euro paddles, some drybags. Most of it is in mint condition, so I’m trying not to think of how much money I spent and won’t get when selling it used. :s

Who called this boat whorism? I guess an old dog can learn new “tricks.”

We don’t have ocean swell, but there are wind waves to chase all year, or as long as the water has not turned hard or just too frickin cold to want to be sprayed in.

Congrats! Update us on your experience. Where are you located?

Congrats in the new ski. I suggest waiting until Spring if you can, to sell your stuff. You’ll get more for it when the weather warms up.

9 years! What’s wrong with you ?I’m not much of a paddler, but I’ve been through several in that time.
Congrats!

Congrats Pika. You’re in for some serious fun. Skis are an undiscovered gem in the paddling world. I bet you convert a few friends too. Once I sat in a ski, I have never looked back. (though I still enjoy canoes too, just not many suitable rivers to paddle in southern California)

I’ve had great luck picking up gear on the cheap from AliExpress.com, especially during the 11/11 sale coming up next month. Its the chinese black friday and stores usually discount an additional 20-50% off already cheap prices. I picked up 2 full carbon wing paddles for $140 shipped each. Got leg and paddle leashes for less than $10. Dry bags are available too. All has been equal quality to the major brand names.

Now that you have a ski you should spend some time on surfski.info too. Lots of good news articles and a good forum over there too.

String, in the first nine years of my paddling life, I went through five kayaks! Obviously, I’ve been very happy with the sixth boat, the one I still have. It’s been moved from CO, to WA, and back to CO again, and paddled plenty in all of them.

Mountainpaddler, I am in southwest CO. I need to find out more about a location at Navajo Reservoir called Windsurfer Beach. Many years ago I paddled in the NM portion of Navajo but never the CO part. The Windsurfer Beach at Blue Mesa Reservoir (farther away) fully deserved its name, with strong, predictable afternoon winds blowing west to east in summer. I’ll try to find out if the area at Navajo is as predictable. Lake Powell also is not too far away. Our local large reservoir has a long, narrow channel but this year at least, the winds seemed not to be quite aligned in that axis. Then again, I was avoiding the windiest days.

DrowningDave, selling the sea kayak has more to do with making storage room than maximizing the price. I can store the ski without selling the sea kayak, but it will be in the way. We have a third 17’ sea kayak, my husband’s boat.

MCImes, I will still be renting a V5 and a V7 when the opportunity rises…and so will my husband. He, too, is tiring a bit of schlepping the sea kayaks’ weight, and Epic makes three models I think might work as sort of crossover between sea kayak and surf ski (since he is not interested in surf paddling and needs a more stable craft than I do). I suspect some of the fitness-oriented people at a Durango reservoir will be interested in the skis. I always see people rowing there (shells, not rowboats), and hardcore swimmers, too.

I lived in Washington for several years myself–beautiful area, but so is Colorado. Enjoy the boat!

I used to take my family up to Eleven Mile Canyon Lake in CO. Hiking only back then.

Eleven Mile Reservoir would be a good one for wind paddling, though it is at least a half-day drive from home. It was one of my favorites when I lived closer to it, though I did not go often. The place is beautiful, and when water levels get LOW, the boulders in one area show off their Tahoe-likeness. The water there is frigid all year round.

I have a favorite old (1975) photo of me carrying our year old son in a backpack through 2’ of snow up there . Our terrier mutt could barely keep his nose above it.