Has anyone here lived (and paddled) in both the Pacific Northwest & either Maine or CT?

The whole point is that no matter who we are if we are just visiting for a short time we really don’t know much about the area. Whether it is you coming to Maine or me trying to get to Pikes Market we tend to gravitate to the touristed areas.

Real estate is wacko everywhere. My lake front neighbors were offered 1 million for their house that they bought six years ago for 400K. Dark winter days are depressing in Maine too… just look at the domestic violence stats. Maine goes up to lat 48 in the non tourist areas. Of course those are not kayak areas … Cross country skiing and snowmobiling rule in winter in the County.

That part of ME below Portland is actually Mass North… I don’t visit there either but in the winter has fantastic yakking.

Winter arts are blooming in Camden Rockland and Waterville and Lewiston Celia if you want to reconsider. We go to symphony or theater in Lewiston about once a month. Portland is not the be all… Not anymore. Northern Light has upped its hospital game and you need go to Maine Med only for very specialized services. We do live in the woods though and rescue will take about 15 min to get to us… Most every service has paramedics now and can bring the first steps of hospital care to you. They are full time on duty at the station.

1 Like

Yup, Camden and down to Portland has really excellent arts overall. This will be only the second year in over two decades where I have not gotten tickets to Bay Chamber Concerts in Rockport - this year the classic music is resuming but only after I am back home. Similar issue, still shut down mode with the DuPonte String Quartet, I have also attended their adult chamber music camp at times.

Regularly go to the Farnsworth and have followed CMCA from Rockport to Rockland, also highly recommend the Colby Museum in Augusta. I saw both of halves of the Lunder acquisition across two seasons.

For Jim, being in the plastic arts meant an umbilical cord to MOMA, the Whitney and the blue chip galleries in NYC. Hard to argue with the convenience of a couple of hour train ride. I would be more flexible there, though I do like doing a museum day in NYC a couple of times a year.

The issue in the winter in midcoast Maine is how much is around compared to home, for a decent amateur to play or sing. I am welcome in any of three decent community orchestras back home, two of which play major works. I have two good non-audition choruses happy to have me, granted car pool required for either of them. I’ve looked around - come winter not so much opportunity here.

Portland would be the choice. Temperatures quite close to home, Maine Medical Center, better shot of finding the amateur or town/gown orchestra/chorus action. Portland Museum looks decent. Midcoast Symphony Orchestra is audition required - ugh - but they look like a good community orchestra and it’d only be a half hour from Portland.

But looking at the full package including how much of my income would be taxable, decided to stay put and hold a spot to visit here every year.

Wow! Thanks everyone for your input. I didn’t expect such a voluminous response. I’ve been traveling (with my kayak) and found it difficult to respond to these responses each night but I’m home now, so here’s some kind of a potpourri of responses and additional somewhat random thoughts.

A few additional things that would add to the appeal of a given location that I didn’t mention initially are (1) industrial infrastructure (sounds silly but as much as I enjoy paddling in nature, I also enjoy paddling with big ships and tugboats and cranes and all that human stuff). So that’s pretty true of Portland OR and Tacoma but not so much I wouldn’t think with respect to Maine. I started kayaking in New Haven CT (well over 30 years ago and there was a small port there that more often than not had a freighter docked and further up the coast is a naval base (New London I believe) where I was paddling once and had a sub cruise by (which was pretty damn cool - 2nd time as I had a similar experience down in GA with a SLBM sub popping it’s hatches as it went by). Anyway, the 2nd thing is an active paddling community. I don’t have that now (in Atlanta) but occasionally make it down to Charleston SC and am really impressed with the kayak meetup group there, the weekly scheduled activities and so on.

Celia - I hadn’t even considered proximity to good medical facilities but even though I’ve generally been in good health, I guess that should become more of a consideration as I move into my 60’s and beyond. I would think that all of the places I mentioned, being in or adjacent to big cities would have good medical facilities with the exception of the Maine coast perhaps? Anyway, I will keep that in mind.haven’t thought about medical but I assume everywhere I’m considering would have good access except perhaps Maine if I was up the coast

bud16415 - Yes, I think you are correct that no matter where I move I will have to become a snowbird, and consider therefore the merits of being a sunbird in those different places on our potential retirement spot list. Atlanta is a nice place to travel from as it’s a big Delta Hub. I did a quick look at some travel itinerary’s from Portland OR, SeaTac, and the Portland International and Connecticut (Bradley) airports and most seemed to offer reasonable access at a reasonable price to sunnier, warmer climes. Perhaps a bit more of a drive to the airport in CT and Maine (depending on where along the coast I lived). It’s kind of a big issue in terms of how to go about being a snowbird. I’ve considered getting a condo somewhere nice and affordable (like if I were in the PNW, maybe Baja) which is cool because you’ve got your own place but the downside is that then your somewhat committed to giving up on exploring and just going to the same place over and over. I don’t know anything about this but I’ve recently begun to think about having a condo that is an investment property (renting it out with the help of a management company) but don’t know how much of a headache that is. I’ve also considered getting a mini-trailer to preserve the options of exploring different areas. I like to drive now but not sure how I’ll feel in another 5-10 years. It would be nice though because I could take my boat with me. There’s the larger RV option but I think it may be at least AS cost effective just to fly somewhere and stay in an Extended Stay place for a month or so. Anyway, lots to think about.

Pikeabike - yes I worry about the persistent gray drizzly weather and its affect on my mood. Oddly enough, my wife is one of a small subset of people on whom gray skies actually have the opposite effect.

re: traffic. Yeah, it sounds like most everywhere we are considering probably has bad traffic, which I really don’t like, but Atlanta is hardly a treat either and not working, I can mostly avoid rush hour at least. On a related note, the seasonal flood of tourists in the NE sounds very unpleasant.

Celia - very interesting to read your comment about downeast ME being similarly afflicted by long stretches of gray weather and also about crowds dissipating by midcoast. I’m wondering if there is a sweet spot in the middle somewhere. Also regarding arts, culture, etc., I would really like to have year round access to a healthy restaurant scene, and the occasional concert (e.g., by aging classic rock bands and the like). I have to assume that Tacoma and Portland OR have good restaurants and enough that you don’t end up going to the same places over and over. Driving through CT on this trip, I saw a lot of what looked like smaller fine cuisine type restaurants along the coast (is it Boston Post Rd) but I didn’t have time to stop and explore so don’t know for sure how the quality is. I’ve had some good meals in Maine over the years but not sure what’s available when you get out of the touristy places, or in the non-tourist season. I love fried haddock and chowder and lobster pie and cod cakes and all that but wonder if there’s enough non-seafood options available to keep a foodie happy year round.

Brodie - RI is an interesting possibility although I traveled through there on this trip (and had made a few trips decades ago when I lived in CT) and the parts I was in tended to look kind of run down. Pot holes, gravel parking lots…just sort of old looking, even though some of the neighborhoods I drove through (based on some pre-trip Zillow scanning) looked very pretty.

Kayakmedic - I’m not a beer lover, and i DO like avocado toast so, for me…not a check in the pro’s of Maine column!!

Based on very limited experience - 2 paddling spots, I found the paddling in Puget sound to be a bigt monotonous. Long linear stretches of cobble beach front. I do like sea stars and anemonoes though and could hopefully find some craggly coves.

A few final miscellaneous comments.
From very limited experience, I think I might find the craggy coastal regions of Maine more interesting than what I have experienced in the PNW where I’ve only had the opportunity to paddle areas that have somewhat linear monotonous cobble beaches. I know that could very well reflect a small sample size (I’ve paddled near Bellington WA, Dabob Bay, and somewhere near Clallam Bay). And I love east coast salt marshes (probably my favorite paddling), especially near high tide (the York River, as I drove over it on 95 a few weeks ago, looked so pretty). However, I think I much prefer the warmer winter air temps in the PNW even though the water is, for me, basically drysuit water on both coasts year round.

Oh, I came across a great website for comparing the essential climatic features of different cities in the US (and around the world I believe). It’s called Weatherspark. It shows in a clear graphical format things like air temp throughout the year, wind speed (tends to be greater in coastal Maine vs Tacoma or Portland OR which also makes the PNW a bit more appealing to me), water temp, cloud cover, days of precipitation, etc. and allows you to directly compare different cities.

One question I had is what are the lake temps like in the PNW. Are they warm enough to paddle / swim in a bathing suit in the summer. The lakes in GA are all artificial (formed by impoundments), with clay banks and clay-colored water. I don’t enjoy them. But maybe I would warm up to lake paddling, so to speak, in the NE or PNW.

Well, sorry to go on for so long. Thanks again for everyone’s input.
-Dave

You mean the Tailgate? Nah. Give me Side Street’s Mac-n-Cheese any day of the week. :wink:

Regarding lowland lake temps in Western Washington right now Lake Washington is 74 degrees. Lake Sammamish is 76 degrees.

https://green2.kingcounty.gov/lake-buoy/

1 Like

@Monkeyhead

Re medical facilities in Maine, let me be very clear that Maine Medical Center in Portland is an outstanding facility. I suspect better than anything back home. I had occasion to find out when my husband crashed two days after we had arrived. He was taken by ambulance from Penn Bay to MMC where we encountered a doctor and staff that made a huge difference.

Portland also has good reliable year round arts and restaurants. I can’t speak to things like rock concerts because that has not been where l have spent money for a few decades. But l would be surprised if that aspect was not good.

The rockier aspect of the Maine coast kicks in around Portland, just gets more so as you keep going.

Portland Maine is a solid commercial port, with big ships coming in and out, ferries and a major CG facility. I think you are underestimating its commercial waterfront.

Hopefully this clears up what l said. As in a prior post, in the end the only two things that caused Jim and I to decide to stay put were the established connections we each had in NY Capital District, and that a percentage of my income would become taxable.

2 Likes

Being as far north in Pa as you can get and on a clear night from about 5 stories high you can see Canada and lake effect winters that have us winning or in the top 5 snowiest large cities in the country, we know something about snowbirding.

People that call this home have family here and attachments but when retired unless they are snow lovers take to the road or air 4-5 months out of the year. I have seen every conceivable method on every kind of a budget. Most pick north or south as the main home and then do something with a simpler remote location on the other end.

I wouldn’t transport boats back and forth it is likely the type of boat you might want would be different anyway and the cost of boats compared to the hassle of hauling them wouldn’t be worth it for me. around here most stay on the east and a one to two day drive. Those that go NS & EW fly and have a second car.

Some have home base and then lease on the other end changing locations every year. A great way to try out locations and find one you like.

In the end quite a few end up coming back and hunkering down for a couple months a year. I hated winter and I was an active winter person with skiing and such. What I figured out was when I retired winter wasn’t so bad and what I hated about winter most was working thru it.

Sounds like you have lots of options. I’m one that may take a couple week trip south in the winter but I’m fine with it.

1 Like