Have You Ever Needed a Spare Paddle?

Truth Stranger than Fiction Story

– Last Updated: Nov-30-07 12:31 PM EST –

I'm surprised the Georgia Kayakers hasn't weighed in on this issue (it's a sunny Friday in the Deep South, he's probably out on the river, exactly where I should be now). A couple of years ago he was on one of his marathon paddles and was deep in the Mobile-Tensaw Delta when he somehow lost his only paddle. He used a scrap piece of lumber he found on the side of the river to paddle for several hours until he could get a cell phone call out to for help. One of the local outfitters met him at the riverside to deliver him a replacement paddle later that day (I just happen to know the folks that sold him the new paddle).

Truth is stranger than fiction, see pics:

http://www.georgiakayaker.com/album/Nov_08_Wednesday/tn/IMGP3266.JPG.html

Rolling bad form,
One day on a small local lake with flat water conditions I was out practicing rolling. After about an hour I had the dumbfounded idea of trying a new roll on my off side. Well my form at this time had a lot to be desired so I attempted to muscle up with the paddle at a deep low angle. Well since sound travels far under water as the loom splintered and broke the magnification of the sound was as if I was standing next to a tall tree if it was to fall in the forest.

My spare two piece came in handy that day, yet I could have swam to the put-in just as easily.

I now generally carry two full size tradition style paddles. One has it’s use for general touring, the other with a bit more paddle width is enjoyable for sculling and sprinting. Yet in the car at the put-in are usually a few other paddle choices to pick from based on the conditions and what I want to do.

I wouldn’t leave home without them.

Yep… broke a blade off…
Could have made it back but would have had to abandon a group paddle. My spare is a smaller wind paddle that I have switched to and been very glad I had along a times.

I’ve also been with someone who lost a paddle at night. It took some time for other folks to find it otherwise someone would have had a long tow.

A spare is a no brainer.

yep
Back in Euro days broke a blade bracing off the paddle getting out of dumping surf–need the spare to get back home. Now paddle a WRC GP and/or a carbon Superior GP. Nice to have the carbon if the WRC padle breaks. Once had occassion to lend a paddle to another paddler who lost his in the surf zone so he could paddle/brace while we retrieved his paddle.

No, but
I have decided in my particular situation that the chance of needing the spare is remote enough to feel comfortable keeping it inside the back compartment rather than cluttering my deck.

Mike

twice
on a trip, hit a rock with a Current designs paddle and the blade broke in half. A cheapo wood Sawyer paddle was my back up. I was at “the shore” but the shore was an island.

During instruction in 1’ waves I tucked my paddle inadequately under a bungie while holding the students bow talking them through bracing while holding them into the waves, after a few minutes I leaned up and my paddle was GONE. No back up paddle so by student got towing practice, then I got towing practice.

It can happen. Spare paddle makes more sense then carrying a sheathed knife.

Ouch!

– Last Updated: Nov-30-07 1:26 PM EST –

I see splinters and no gloves...

never mind that
How do you use that honking big greenland paddle with all that stuff on deck?

Need a spare paddle on 4 occasions
3 times for me, once for a person who broke their paddle while in the rocks and did not have a spare. I would never leave home without one. But that’s just me.

Celia, where do you keep spare GP?

A Shark Ate One.
I was reminded today by a friend. He was paddling with a buddy and a shark hit his paddle blade taking the paddle out of his hands. His buddy retrieved the paddle as he wasn’t about to hand paddle or swim to get it.

He swears this is true and the plastic blade had a tooth stuck in it.

This alone would convince me to carry a spare…

Front deck

– Last Updated: Nov-30-07 3:10 PM EST –

I should note that for my 5'4" height even my slightly long GP isn't real long. A taller person's GP probably wouldn't work on the front deck of the 15'8" Vela.

I did have to mess with the rigging to make it work decently on the Explorer LV, but I have rigging all the way forward so it was manageable. I have yet to figure out a really great solution for the Vela because it lacks rigging way up near the front toggle. So far everything I've tried using the perimeter rigging tends to require that I reset the paddle's position after a few rolls.

yep
snapped a Beale in half trying to catch a surf wave.

bummer. glad I had a spare.

also had clients (2 times) break paddles. one wood on f/g.

steve

No, you do not.
Let me re-phrase that:

No, YOU do not. It is a personal choice on your part. Carry one, or not.

Of course, there are some on this board who will leave you adrift if you need one. I am not saying who…

Jim

Spare Good
My buddy showed up at the put in with two “male” paddle halves. He didn’t have a spare. I didn’t have a spare. My other buddy didn’t have a spare. We lost a good hour going back to the house to get a female half. We all carry spares now.

I carry two paddles with different surface areas. Two different gears, so to speak. An upwind and a downwind paddle.

great response…
i dont carry a spare in my conditions but you might want one. we are all responsible and whatever you feel comfortable with is what you should do.

no but
a friend of mine figured he didnt need a spare paddle as he was only going out for the afternoon, broke a paddle about 3 miles off shore. Ended up J stroking against wind and current for many hours, that was 15 years ago he’s never needed a spare paddle since then but also has never leaves the beach without one since then

Another time I saw a high level instructor running a grade 4 plus, white water gorge using his hands while trying to lead a group of students. One of the students had lost their paddle so the instructor had given them his. Not sure how effective he was going to be in case of an emergency.

I’ve given my spare paddle to students who’s over length, over bladed paddle was injuring them, allowing us to complete the trip. I’ve also broken a few and been glad to have a spare.

I personaly have needed the split maybe 3 time in 20 years paddling which is more than I’ve needed most of my other emergency equipmnet. Most of my safety gear I never use but I always carry it. Its a tough balance between what would be ideal and what is essential.

on using half of it to make it home

– Last Updated: Nov-30-07 3:56 PM EST –

Some of us start with only a half a paddle from the outset.

I don't think I've ever "needed" a spare. But I've been with folks who did, and had them.

Needing one doesn't just mean breaking one. It could mean dropping one.

I guess some people can break anything…

Trip member did
During our 29-day trip in Alaska, one guy broke his paddle and used his spare the rest of the trip.

Granted, the first paddle should not have been used for such a trip in the first place–he said the connection was worn thin and very loose.

I only carry a spare paddle on multiday trips.