Have you ever wondered if you are done with a favorite hobby?

Good news. Had my first physical therapy session after surgery this afternoon.
All heart parameters were good pre and post. Looking forward to continue improving.

11 Likes

Truth.

2 Likes

Terrific news, @string.
Looking at new kayaks and canoes, even though I don’t plan to purchase, helps me through winter. Keep it up!

Changes in interests happen throughout life, not just in old age. Sometimes circumstances of where you live influence these changes, sometimes it is physical changes in your own body, sometimes you just find out about something and try it and get hooked, sometimes financial pressures play a role, and last but not least, sometimes you simply lose interest after a very long run of passionate involvement.

When I was in my teens I got hooked on cycling, a passion that grew and stayed with me for decades. I was a “live to ride, ride to live” person. Where I lived the road systems were extensive, often scenic or at least not ugly, speeds limits amenable to cyclist safety, and there were many other riders who also loved the sport, whether touring or racing.

Even so, there came a time when I burned out on the race regime and began hiking more. After moving to CO, the roads near me were not all that pleasant for cycling. But MTBing trails abounded, and I discovered new joy in combining the working-with-machine aspect and the more contemplative, slower travel through a more natural environment.

By the time I had devoted myself to riding for more than 35 years, I had tried kayaking. And LOVED it. The change of setting was a new liquid world to explore, and my respiratory system breathed in relief at not inhaling dusty air. I rode less and less, kayaked more and more. I liked learning and practicing the skills and still do.

There were changes of interest within the kayaking realm itself, too. It was a major change when I started paddling a surf ski. That’s where I am now with kayaking.

These are only two major activities that underwent changes of interest. There were others in my life, at least one of which was hastened by lack of product availability (film photography—the loss of which still hurts me to think about, even though the environment is better off without the darkroom chemicals).

Do what you enjoy. It’s not a job to earn a paycheck. And your physical limitations become more of a factor with age.

3 Likes

@string it’s a part of life. Change is good. @Andy is right. Airguns of today are not the toys we used as kids. They can be fully functions replicas of the same size and weight, with fully reciprocating slides. No legal paperwork required, fraction of the cost, shoot in the back yard. I hadn’t fired live ammo since I retired. You can see how much airgun practice I got in during the past 6 months.100 rounds using a springer is about $2.00. I use a spotting scope and plink away.

When I went to the live range two months ago, I found that I had recovered the speed and accuracy that I had before I stopped.

I just filled out an order for a Swell Scupper Pro 16’. I sent them a question about fit.
I’m ready to hit PayPal after a little research.
I seem to have answered my own question.

4 Likes

I’m a hobbyist. Its simply my nature. When I get going on a hobby, I’m in all the way. Its obsessive to a point that approaches addiction or perhaps disease. Music has been this way for me, and killifish breeding, stick & tissue model aircraft and, yes, paddling. I can’t imagine what a dull, miserable thing life would be without being deeply interested, obsessed if you will, in a few things. Its a big beautiful complex world we live in. Surely its a fool that can’t find a few areas of interest worthy of committed long-term attention. And nobody gets very good at anything without deep commitment. An addictive personality can be a blessing if one chooses one’s addictions wisely.

Thing is, if a person is truly of an obsessive sort, one can only afford to obsess on one thing at a time and still have a bit of time left over for gainful employment. Rotation is the key. Four or five years to each obsession before rotating to another - while keeping an arm’s length and a watchful eye on what’s happening in the other areas of interest. Live long enough and the wheel comes around and around again.

But, yes, at 72 my hands are getting a bit arthritic and I may have to play piano instead of guitar, but I’m not ready to say I’m done playing. Just in remission.
I doubt I’ll be making any more long portages, and just getting up from a canoe is iffy sometimes, though I hope that’s only temporary.
If the day comes that I have to say I’m done with a favorite hobby, I’m glad I’ve spent my life building up an ample supply of obsessions to fall back on.

2 Likes

" I can do without the soldier of fortune types and all the politics."

Yup. I’ve met some WEEERD people at the gun range. I go on weekdays and early in the morning and almost always have the place to myself. You tell folks how peaceful and quiet and zen-like it is to go shoot a rifle and they look at you like you’re crazy. If you do it the way I do it, it really is peaceful and calming.

2 Likes

If I wanted to, I’m sure I could escape the preppers by joining the right fish & game club, but I just don’t have the interest right now. Perhaps when I retire I’ll try again, because I do find it to be peaceful and calming.

2 Likes

Thats the best thing about airguns if you enjoy shooting. I have a picnic table as a bench and a box with two carpet remnants in it as a backstop. No ear protection needed, no travel, no range supervision, no cleaning up brass, no prohibition about using holsters. Set up a spotting scope to check targets. Soft music from a bluetooth speaker and a cup of coffee. No need to worry about missing.

4 Likes

What is the pistol? I like pistols because I find them more difficult to use.
I looked at a Sig BB pistol made to mimic a 1911. Too clunky.

I am obsessive when it comes to things, I find of interest. Traditional style archery, hunting, fishing, backpacking, canoeing, drawing, bee keeping, ants, tropical fish, plant and animal identification, photography, astronomy, fossil and arrow head hunting, to name some of them. Things that were added later in life are making and playing the Native American style flute, and during the pandamit took up playing a tenor ukulele. Sea kayaking and then sailing became very important to me over the last 15 years. Currently my fishing interest revolve around fly fishing for trout. Caught 8 Rainbows and a Brown yesterday fly-fishing (tight line nymphing) and also used my tenkara rod for part of the day while wading a mountain river.

I no longer keep bees, ants or fish tanks. My archery and hunting don’t take up as much time anymore. I still make a flute now and then and play often, but the Ukulele is being played more. Many of my interests have ebbed and flowed over time, and at 72 I know I need to spend the remaining time savoring them as long as I can. I still have the mind of a child but now have a body that doesn’t mind punishing it. :crazy_face:

5 Likes

And you are a kid!

1 Like

Found it

Yay! That’s a fun, versatile boat. Glad you still will be enjoying self-propelled time on the water.

I reviewed all of the 1911 brands I could find. I wasn’t impressed with any of them or by the three different Sig Sauer models, which were plastered up with gimmicky logos. The functions of the Sprinfield seemed better than any of them. I own two, one blue and one bright nicklel slide with matte gey frame. Compare to the real example with a blue slide and hard chrome frame. They all fit the same holster.

I finally decided on a Swiss Arms Beretta 92. It’s closest to the discontinued 92D and my personal 92SB-F. Fits the same holster and has a better trigger in both single and double action mode. Authenticity is a feature I seek for training.

I also have a Sig P365, CO2 .177 Steel BB, which compares closely to the actual models owned by nephew and my son. It carries well in the DeSantis holster (only one I could find that was around $50) for training, has enough grip for easy access, points very well, but shoots with a few hiccups unless you allow the trigger to fully reset (reinforces good form). The Umarex HK VP9 (paddle mag release, when the others are button release), and the Glock 45 airsoft 6mm are both green gas. Well made, great for draw, retention and disarming training, accuracy is probably about 3 inches at 15 yards, but I can sit down and do some test targets if you have intrest in any of them. Each has a specific value.

For consisyent accuracy and inexpensive operation, I go to the RWS 5G, capable of quarter size groups or the V10 with probably dime size groups at the same distace.

1 Like

Had a few years where I was logging hundreds of miles kayaking, but lost interest. Think I got burned out. Resumed it last year, after archery died as hobby. Suspected that I got burned out on kayaking.

Didn’t do it this year because multiple back injuries. (Disc golf took its place.) But hoping to resume it in 2024 or 2025.

Lesson Lesson: Watch out for burn out. Best to have multiple hobbies, to keep balance.

5 Likes

I paddle to be out there where I can use all my senses. Before that it was walking/hiking.
I loved disc golf for the same reasons but my legs no longer will carry me.

4 Likes

I bought a new kayak last year and rented a spot near the water to store it. I planned to use it since it was close to the water. But I haven’t paddled all year! I keep thinking I’m going to go for a paddle. I look up the tides and watch the weather and have some routes in mind, but I just haven’t been able to make the time.

I do make time for running and hiking, though. And part of my dilemma is that I’m recovering from shoulder pain and worried about reinjury. However, I do intend to paddle again!

I did get a drone this year and was obsessed with building another custom drone. I spent quite a bit of money on that and now all the parts are gathering dust in my closet. I’m happy to be past the solstice and looking forward to linger days again!

1 Like

Just broke my leg in three places Dec 2nd. Freak accident at home involving stairs. I’ve been a serious cyclist for 30 years and been paddling sea kayaks about 20. Never gone more than a few days without some form of exercise. Being 68 years old I’ve been wondering if it’s time to quit all this stuff. I don’t think it is, in fact I can’t wait to start rehabbing, I love the discipline, goal setting, seeing the improvement, etc. I’m not going down without a fight.

3 Likes