Hawkeye Portable Fishfinder

battery pack
jerlfletcher, I could have glued one end of my battery pack, but didn’t because I was camping. I made what I had at the campsite and did not have glue with me. It worked, but glued on one end should be better. The slide ons did hild well, even without the glue. Except for have a good way to mount the transducer inside the hull, I think I have everything else licked.

Fishfinder
I got one and love it. I use it from docks and canoes.

Radio Shack has the battery pack.
They sell two, one with the batteries two in a row, 4 to a side and one that has 4 batteries side by side on each side. I prefer the double row, but have both. I put together my PVC battery container last night, think it will work well. I left room for extra batteries. Used Gorilla tape on one end, but it doesn’t need to be glued or taped. First time to buy Gorilla tape and just wanted to use it to see how good it really is. It looks tough.

battery pack
I’ve heard of Gorilla glue, but not the tape. I don’t see why thatr woudn’t do a good job. I sor of like the way I did mine. The PVC is the batrtery pack. I just put some old springs from an old 6 volt lantern battery in the ends and brought the wire out of the ends of the caps and sealed aroung them. The PVC is thin and I can use duct tape to tape it to the side of my yak, inside the front hatch.

Hawkeye Fishfinder Follow-Up
I started this thread. Ended up buying the Hawkeye from Target Online (about $58 including shipping). Tried it out and then returned it.

Why? Spent several days kayak fishing at Lake Marion (Santee, SC) and used the Hawkeye every day. Showed structure and lots of fish everywhere, all the time - even with sensitivity set low. Graphics were very rudimentary (hey, for $58, what did I expect!). Just provided me no useful information. Had just as many strikes with it as without it. Depth gauge seemed to work fine and helped identify channels and holes, but I was really looking for more. Wasn’t worth the extra hassle of having more equipment to deal with in my SINK.

Similar experience except

– Last Updated: Aug-01-07 3:51 PM EST –

that mine doesn't show fish all of the time. Maybe you had fish or "stuff" of some kind in the water all of the time? Mine sometimes shows no fish at all while giving good depth readings, some structure, etc. But I have used it mostly for salmon and they tend to come through in schools. A couple of times it has shown LOTs of fish when I didn't catch any, but I suspect there were lots of fish!!!

Thanks for the report. Very useful to compare.

Sooner or later they will build the unit we want, lots of detail on the screen and as portable as the Hawkeye.

Fishfinder
Any of you guys remember the “flasher” style of fish finder–a round LED display that flashed at the bottom and the general location of where the fish are?

We are spoiled.

You can still get them. Ide fishermen
use flasher units and some boats come with dash panel mount flasher. I used to have a barely used one in my garage…may still be there. Humminbird model. Sold the boat, thought I would get another, so kept the flasher. Its sat on a shelf for about 15 years.