Help a fat girl find a great kayak! :D

I’m not pushing any particular boat and as a canoe person I have zero kayak knowledge. Just wanted to make sure you see the reviews section of this site. The reviews for the 160T look very positive. A pick-up truck seems like an ideal transport vehicle for these boats.

1 Like

Your budget is very constraining. Leaving you to only rotomolded incredibly heavy and slow kayaks. I would suggest two boats. The Eddyline 14 is easily the fastest sit-on-top to paddle. It would haul you, a lot of camping gear, and only weigh 50 lbs outfitted for fishing. It would not be my choice for bringing a dog. The Eddyline Shasta tandem which is kind of a canoe-kayak hybrid with a large open cockpit, adjustable sliding seats. It can be set up as a tandem when you are with the dog or as a solo when you are not. It is a favorite of inland expedition paddlers because of its weight capacity and easy loading. It too is very fast and easy to paddle compared to rotomolded boats. I would be very careful buying a used rotomolded boat as they are rarely stored in cool shady places that preserve their original shape. It is very hard to detect a warped boat that only goes right until you paddle it. Good luck in your search. Once your hooked on kayaking you will find the right boat or boats.

1 Like

Maybe take a look at the Vibe Yellowfin 130 Tandem kayak. For solo paddling, it allows for the seat to be placed in the center of the boat. Plenty of gear area in front and behind. Just not much dry storage.

1 Like

Hi! Are you talking about the Caribbean 14? I’m also looking at that boat and it looks beautiful…but I’ve read a couple reviews where people thought it was NOT a fast boat??? :crazy_face: I want something fast and maneuverable but I also need a weight capacity of probably 300+ lbs. Also like the Swell Scupper 14 but it weighs 68 lbs.!

1 Like

Yes , The eddyline caribbean 14 compared to rotomolded kayaks is very fast. The man that designed this boat (Tom Derrer) has been building kayaks since the 70’s. When buying a recreational class boat I would always buy from a company that builds and designs high performance sea kayaks. The DNA works it way down from the top performing kayaks. The hard shiny surface of Eddyline’s thermoformed and excellently designed hulls makes an amazing difference in speed over pebbly rotomolded kayaks designed by plastic engineers who have never paddled a kayak. I would suggest trying one before buying something else. You be the judge. But really with the dog the Eddyline Shasta tandem would be better. It is unfortunately discontinued but maybe available used. But mine is definitely not for sale

2 Likes

Ohhh, thank you all for your replies— there’s so much new information to take into account! I think I really need to do even more research and thinking before deciding anything. In the mean time I’ll be exploring these boards and learning all that I can! Thank you!!

A sit on top i think would be your best bet. Take a look at the pelican catch 120, yes its a fishing kayak but has an open cockpit & lots of storage options . Check out there website to check weight capacity but my buddy has one & he is 6ft3inch & 250lbs and he has no issues at all. Good luck

I ended up going with a Tarpon 120 it was the 2019 model and their last one so I got it at Scheels for $599 (originally $999) my friend purchased a Perception Wave 12 she is 5’9” /165 lb.

Both have been awesome for us so far, got them and registered them Saturday morning and already been out twice.

I figured I’m working on losing weight so even if I didn’t get something that could support my current weight, my dog, and my gear— at least my reward for losing the weight and getting in better shape will be having fun finally being able to camp on my kayak. :slight_smile:

Awesome, enjoy & stay safe!!

Hope you like your Tarpon 120 as much as I did (sold it a few years ago to make a move easier). It’s a fun fishing kayak.