help choosing solo canoe?

Sounds like you want a …
Mohawk Odysee 15 in solo configuration. I’d just drive you and you dog to Orlando for a test padddle.

dog boat
I’ve paddled solo canoes with my 65-70 pound lab for years.

A few things that you might want to consider:

• if the boat is perfect for you with the dig, you might not like it as much without the dog (some boats like a heavy load, some like a light load, and some are nice both ways)

My Merlin II is my favorite boat - with the dog, but not my favorite alone. Our load is almost exactly same as yours…the Merlin can handle the weight easily.

• the boat you need for the dog - may depend on how calm the dog is in a boat. Somehow I got lucky and my dog is more calm in the boat than anywhere else. So she can go into even hot little solos with me. But if your dog might move around a lot then you might want the biggest, most stable boat you can get…like a Northstar tandem with solo kneeling thwart.

• you may want to train the dog carefully in the beginning. Teach him to jump into the boat in your backyard and reward him. Never scare him. First paddle maybe only 5 minutes or less. Dog needs secure footing; mine gets her own kneeling pad. Maybe keep him on a short leash in the beginning until he learns the rules (my dog knows “settle down”).

• you might need a boat with a sliding seat with an 80 pounder - for the room and to get the trim right…almost any solo will be bow-heavy with your dog.

• the Bell Morningstar in Royalex is quite a nice boat for Royalex and works decently solo and quite well tandem. It would be a stable platform for you and your dog. The Royalex Wenonah Rendezvous would easily carry the weight…but it’s not a light boat. Overall I think the Shearwater is a bullseye for you if you can find one…I recommend the Expedition Kevlar lay-up…I didn’t like the flimsiness of the lightweight kevlar one that I had…but it carried the dog and me effortlessly and it’s hard to imagine a more comfortable solo for taking the dog. And the performance of the Shearwater is sweet on both rivers and lakes.

Hope this helps you.

solo canoe
Thanks everyone…I think I have it pretty much narrowed down. Unless something used pops up around here I will most likely wait until next month or month after. I think some of the above mentioned companies run some sales in the fall…I hope

That’s a dog boat, all right.
But you could be just as happy in a 16 foot Wenonah, or happier.

Or a Solo Plus
I like the wenonah Solo Plus as a solo. It is a high volume solo and will handle that weight well.