Help - Identifying my old Canoe!!

get error

– Last Updated: Dec-28-08 12:57 PM EST –

message trying to access the link. Also I son't know what you mean by "spaces under the thwart." I have spacers dropping seat height, and an open cell foam piece that does double duty as a sponge/kneepad. Great for sopping up the constant drip from poling.
Also, Dumoine listed as 16'4", 37" beam I think. Asymetrical hull (swedeform very pronounced) with I believe 3"/2" rocker fore/aft.

Whether the ABS layer underneath is
split along with the vinyl can be investigated with an awl or similar pointy probe. If the ABS layer is cracked, then a repair would be prudent, but if he is going to trade the boat in, I don’t think it would pay for him to do the repair.

What I see in the pictures is a boat that will handle whitewater, but not in a highly technical way---- and that will have acceptable speed on lakes. That’s a nice combination to have, and I think he should keep the boat. It isn’t going to bring much money when sold or traded, but he can still get a lot of use out of it after a few repairs.

g2d , agree about not to repair …
… if I were an interested buyer , think I would prefer to make repair decisions myself (or not purchase) . I think it’s good to see the “honest” condition and go from there .

Also agree about performance , reasonable combination … still wondering about demensions/volumn/capacity … just thinking of comparison to the Appy.

Assuming it is an old Dumoine, the Swift

– Last Updated: Dec-28-08 10:21 PM EST –

website shows the 2008 specs at this link below. I don't know how much it would have changed over the years. The Swift site shows 23" Bow, 20" Stern, 3" Bow / 2" stern rocker with a weight of 74lbs. It says the hull is asymmetrical but the boat looks symmetrical to me (When I look at it from bow or from stern it looks the same) but I don't know if that is what the term is to delineate.
http://www.swiftcanoe.com/canoe/touring/dumoine.htm

Judging from the feedback I may just keep it. All I do now is fish and paddle a bit but this boat always felt a bit edgy side to side especially when leaning to grab a smallmouth! I'll put it her in the water an see if she feels better with the new seats!

Does any one know if I could find oar brackets that would fit this boat and if it would row well? (or is this a bad idea)

Where are some good sites for accessories etc.

Thanks again. F6

my Dumoine

– Last Updated: Dec-28-08 8:22 PM EST –

is VERY noticeably asymetrical. Hopped in to pole one session, and wondered why my feet were so close together ;-).Yep, canoe was backwards. Max. beam is aft of center, and forward section is narrow for a royalite station wagon. 74 pounds is Royalite, royalex is I believe 82.
found some more shots of my Dumoine
http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2112710040094366337ZFFXZv
Swedeform hull
http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2375499790094366337nmFnGv
max beam aft of portage thwart
http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2541183860094366337NTHEkw
http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2519928850094366337cXEssy

Yep its very swede form with the width
aft of the center line narrowing some in the bow.

It is an asymmetric hull. I get the best feel for asymmetry/symmetry degrees by flipping the boat upside down.

The stern is skegged with less rocker than the bow. Adding to that unless you have moved the seats is that the stern seat was quite far aft.

Sometimes its easier to make comparisons by having another boat along side.

How did that poling the Dumoine backwards go? Seems like it could have been a wet ride!

I only tried poling mine forward and frankly didnt like it. A kneeling thwart was hemming me in.

Its a sweet boat heeled over…Yes it can be done. No its not a dare; heel as far as comfortable for you.

Agree re rocker

– Last Updated: Dec-28-08 10:19 PM EST –

John Winters would never likely have more stern rocker than bow rocker. Swift might have had a typo; an interesting situation.

Competitors speced a boat w/ Daggers 16 ft Reflection catalog dimensions, indicating less bow than stern ricker. DY an I paddled that strange item at Salt lake city - it was impossible - the bow stuck and the stern skidded loose. Later, asking Steve, he said no, that was a typo in the catalog, he'd never design a canoe with less rocker n the bow than stern.? Strange how some builders never get the basics.

Sorry - Typo on my part
Swift website has spec. showing 3" Bow / 2" stern rocker.

CE, our Maine guides on the San Juan
were very happy with their Reflection 16s. They ran them through Government Rapid standing up.

My 1979 Mad River Synergy has more stern rocker than bow rocker, and it is rather a pain in the behind when paddled tandem, trying to come around at every opportunity. I moved my seat farther back and that helped. Solo, however, I have the center seat kinda forward, and the boat tracks wonderfully (for a whitewater boat) and has little tendency to come around.

liked/disliked
I liked the backwards poling because I was further aft, and having the bow in the air helped attain ledges. Dislike was my feet were too close together. Solution which this backwards session taught me was to stand aft of the kneeling thwart poling tight ledgy areas as the bow is up and turning is easy, and I stand forward of the thwart snubbing as I get more stability. I really like the boat for poling, but can only compare to my Reflection 15 and Ed Haydens Millbrook built poling specific design, which is like a Formula 1 car in a sea of yugos. I’d probably like an inner tube for poling, as long as it wasn’t leaking!

There appears to be spacers between
the underside of the gunwale and the top of the thwart on your boat. Mine does not have that. I was wondering what the purpose of these spacers are.

Wow… This is my old post from '08 and today I have this old tub back in the garage doing/searching for the same damn information! (I forgot my original email/username/PW)
I still have this old Swifty and its still kicking and Im cleaning her up again to hopefully trade for the old flat water. Ive been using her on the lake but shes hard to tame running solo!
Hahaha! This was fun to read and recollect. I never did fix the cold cracks mentioned bc I agree that I’d rather see the crack if I were a buyer and fix it myself. Will be interesting to see if any of the original responders to this post are still kicking and respond again! I’ll post some pictures on my youtube site

1 Like

According to the USCoastGuard MIC (Manufacturer’s Identification Code) web site, it’s a Mohawk: Untitled Document
That link includes contact info.

HI, I have recently bought 4 Stiletto racing kayaks in need of TLC.

Im trying to identify them in order to start searching for parts and materials.

Anyone out there any ideas?

!

yeah, down from 18 to 1 boat these days, old Whitesell Pirana, not getting used. Funny, just stopped in and your post from 3/6ish was the first thing I saw.
Just looked, looks like you were asking about the Dumoine. Sold mine a few weeks back, along with a Dagger Encore. Found the portage thwart on the ground yesterday, it had rotted right off. Other thwarts were 1x2" I made to to place the broken originals, and I had glassed one gunwale after a pretty bad crash, and saw the other was cracked as well. Guy I sold the boats to reminded me of me…back when you first posted lol. Life’s a journey, I started collecting…other things. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Any chance those boats were rowed and not paddled? Hard to tell, but your first picture sure looks like it has a foot brace and tracks for a sliding seat, with the person facing the stern as if rowing. Have you got a closer picture of the seat set-up?

Thanks for taking a look. Yes the set up on them was definitely for rowing but we are looking to convert to a two seat paddle of plausible. They are marked with stiletto as the only identifier. I’ll post a couple more pics. Will be a nice project once we get to grips with it.

Hi all,
Can anyone help me learn about this very old canoe that has been in the family forever? I’m guessing the paddle is not original to the canoe either.
Thank you,
Scott