My friend and I recently completed a 3 day canoe trip in the Spring (although the temperature was cold!) and would like to do another this Summer. We do not have a ton of canoe experience but by the end of the three day trip felt like we were navigating class 1 and 2 rapids without much trouble (we absolutely did not want to fall in as temps were low). We are reasonably experienced campers. Could anyone recommend a destination for a canoe camping trip this August for 5-6 days with the following requirements:
- 5-6 days
- Not incredibly far from New Jersey (up ten hours of driving I would say is acceptable)
- Not a ton of people on the river - We don’t mind seeing a person or two during the day but do not want to be overwhelmed with crowds.
- Any sort of fishing is a bonus
- Would prefer a river to a lake as we enjoyed at times being able to just go with the current and the challenge of navigating rapids.
- We would need an outfitter as we do not own our own canoe, but do have dry bags and camping gear,
Any recommendations are greatly appreciated, I hope I have been specific enough.