Help with my new to me Thunderbolt

Thanks everyone. I really do think this
part makes a big difference. Someday I’ll talk to Doug : )

Dan, check out the holes drilled forward of the hinges on some of the Footbars … in there for exactly what you are suggesting. Not enough room on all of them with the mounting tabs and all.

Understern
True, but also look at rudder size-Doug quoted from tank testing that the overstern has less drag on the EFT, as stated; T-Bolt should use the same set up, but maybe not. Rudder size as spec’d on the EFT is deeper-someone stated it’s actually a K-1 tandem blade.

Good luck
On talking to Doug , I told him one day about having the gas pedals on my EFT and TboltX and got a 30 minute eating out.

I like my boats and its great to see some people still paddle them with the surf ski craz going on. I still thing the Westside are some of the best and fastest boats out there.

On getting stable in the tbolt, I paddled mine for 6 months till I felt stable in it. I still respect it and know I can`t get lazy in it. It just takes the seat time.

I did have a tbolt that someone had put a drain on the front top of the boat so you just had to tip it up to get the water out, that is if you where on dry ground.

Stay after it and you will be rewarded with being stable and fast

Thunderbolt
I just got a (very) used Thunderbolt and took it for the first paddle today. I’ve been racing a Looksha II with foot pedals all year and so the first thing I did when I got out of the boat was order a set of Gas Pedals from Onno. It didn’t feel all that much faster than my Looksha, but the fact that it’s 20 pounds lighter probably means I’ll be able to maintain that speed a lot longer.

I dumped a few times when I tried it out in some surf, and whoever remarked about the amount of water this thing holds has it right. So the next thing I want to do is add some bulkheads. Does anybody have any instructions or other advice on how to do that?

BTW: I’ve heard that if you do add bulkheads or foot pedals, you can’t go back to WSBS any more or he’ll kick you out for “wrecking” his boat.

Sprint boat rudders
A friend of mine just got back from the US Sprint Championships where he got disqualified because he used his old sprint boat with an overstern rudder. So looking at sprint boats for guidance on what is faster might not be valid.

Call me anytime on the bulkheads…

– Last Updated: Sep-05-09 2:48 AM EST –

Happy to help make the boat more use friendly and safer.

You can order the foam here .. 2" Minicel is thick enough.

www.foambymail.com

Don’t tell Doug. ( WSBS)
He’s a great guy but don’t “tweak” his boats at all. I was shocked when I told him I changed the seat and he didn’t blow a gasket. Other than that change I never told him any other change. He builds his boat to fit him perfectly and feels it should fit you the same. No exeptions. My foam bulkhead was a back and time saver for sure. Chaz

Think I can relate
Never talked to Doug so I hate to pass any judgement on him, but from what I’ve heard I think I can kind of relate to him in some ways. Lots of things I do that work fine for me and I just can’t fathom why everyone else such a wussy about it.

The Thunderbolt I got certainly doesn’t look like any other boat I’ve seen in terms of outfitting and creature comforts but I really respect that. Gotta be something special about them if you can go against the grain of what everyone else seems to be selling, and seemingly be successful. No flash, no bang, just functional. Would be nice to see more stuff made that way.

All that said I will be making some modifications to mine. What can I say, I’m a wussy.

Alan

update
Just wanted to give a little update here. I’ve had the boat for nearly a month now and have gotten pretty comfortable in it. I did order the ONNO gas pedal setup and by the time they arrived I’d gotten pretty comfortable with the tiller bar setup. I think my original issue with the tiller bar setup was that I felt so uncomfortable in the boat. It was tough trying the keep my legs braced and comfortably control the tiller. Once I got settled in and no longer felt on the verge of tipping I got used to them and didn’t give it much thought. The ONNO pedals are really nice though.

As I said above, the tippiness of the boat finally went away. I’d say it took 5 or 6 outings of about 1 1/2 hours each until I felt comfortable in it. I can set the paddle down and monkey with other stuff without the fear of tipping, though I’ve yet to master looking over my shoulder. I did tip it over a second time while leaning too far in a turn but I had my skirt on this time and popped right back up. It’s a very easy boat to roll.

I’ve entered it in a couple races, both times I was the only kayak in my division. I felt really good about the last race, only my 3rd ever, keeping up with the lead Pro C-2 but losing by less than a foot at the finish. We ran the course again with them in their C-1s, this time I won at the finish.

The first day I got my boat I did my 1.85 mile lake loop in 18.5 minutes (6mph). A couple nights ago I took it out and timed it again, did it in 17.5 minutes (6.4mph). I didn’t feel like it was a killer pace that I was keeping either. I don’t think I could have carried a much faster one but I could have kept going farther. Slowly but surely I’m getting into better shape.

So things are looking up and times are improving. I’m hoping to try out a wing paddle this weekend, I’m curious to see how big of an effect it will have.

Pretty happy with the boat.

Alan