Hennessey hammock with a bad back.

Thanks
yes,sorry I didn’t specify. So if I understand you detach the Clark fly and don’t take it and rig a larger tarp over the hammock? Do you run a line between the trees the hamock is tied to and drape it over that like an a wedge tent?

Thanks,Turtle

Love my hammock
I will also recommend a Hennessey and a Big Agnes. I use the air mattress in the Agnes because it packs smaller. The pads are even warmer. A large tarp can be set up to give you a better view out of the hammock without letting the rain in. I also cook under my hammock tarp. This has been posted before and has several pictures to load but will probably be useful for those who have not seen it.

http://www.quietjourney.com/community/YABB.cgi?num=1187528527/0

I’ve got a Moss Parawing and…
wondering if it could be hung from trees over a Hennessey hammock? The parawing is 19 ft. on the long axis so a coupla trees 20+ feet apart would be necessary. Question is is that too far apart to rig the hammock and not sag too much?

Right on the money CW.
Great review.

A ridgeline
tied to the same trees as the hammock is how I do it. Abandoning the Clark fly is a little tricky in that you need to attach the bug net to the ridgeline somehow. I accomplish this with prussick loops that are slid along the ridgeline to achieve proper height and tension of the bug net. Hanging the fly is pretty simple. I do not use my CCS 10x10 on the diagonal. I can rig it like an A-frame or lean-2 depending on WX conditions.

My back is too short Jim.
Cheers,

JackL

For a HH tarp replacement
I plan on ordering one of the McCat sil-nylon tarps this spring. They are light and compact, amd even the Standard offers more coverage than the HH diamond-shaped fly.

Jim

http://www.outdoorequipmentsupplier.com/maccattarps.htm

No ridge line with ENO
so I rig the Tarp first, as high as I can reach, then I tie the hammock to the same two trees. We’re gettomg HH and Clark and ENO confused on this thread. They are distinctily different hammock systems, each with good and not so good points.

If I use the ENO bug net it has it’s own ridgeline. I prefer to have the tarp separate from and not touching the hammock, so I can rig them independantly and they won’t wick moisture between them. I sometimes run a clothes line under the tarp, too if the clothes aren’t dripping wet.

Two trees 20’ apart would work just fine, just rig the hammock ties as high as you can get them, even if you stand on your canoe to get more height. Otherwise your hammock will sag and hit the ground. I once had to guy out my two main lines to take some slack out of them.

I like that idea of the Prussic loops mentioned above. Seems like you can run a rope between two trees then tie your hammock anywhere along the rope where you can get the best hang and sag. Cool, I’m going to try that next time.

my back loves it.
Since I had back surgery 12 years ago, I had nearly given up on camping. On the ground sleeping even with 2 Thermarest pads stacked had been nearly unbearable. Last spring I tried the Hennesey hammock and I slept better and longer without interruption from pain than even at home in my bed. I’m hooked,a Hennesy owner and back to canoe camping again.

Advice please? I have a rotten spine
and have read this thread with great interest. Can anyone who has slept in most of these tell me if one is any better than the other for someone 6’3" 250 lbs and having to sleep on their side and sometimes their back? The double nest eno looks interesting to me because of its individual parts, but it sounds like Hennessy has a flatter sleeping hammock? The Clark looks like the Cadillac of the bunch but may not be necessary for what little camping I do. Thanks for any advice. Bill

Try hammockforums.net
If you don’t get the answer you are looking for here, the people on hammockforums.net are a wealth of information.

Clarks
I had back surgery in 1997 and have had far too many miserable nights on the ground regardless of the pad. Having owned both the Hennessy and Clarks I am probably one of the few who has a true comparative analysis. My back works better in the Clarks with it’s more banana shape. I sleep just fine on my side. Getting in and out of the Clarks is much more convenient than the Henessey. As far as the perception of the Clarks being the Cadillac it is made in the USA and is still a darn sight cheaper than any tent you have likely purchased.

The thing about the hammock forums is they are dominated by Hennessy owners. This is logical since the Hennessy is half the price of the Clarks. The Hennessy isn’t bad, the Clarks is better!

Clark service
I have had all my questions I sent to Clark answered promptly and reciently when I ordered longer hanging lines they sent them free of charge shipping paid.

Turtle

The Tilley of hammocks.

Q for those who have tried all brands:
As I am only familiar with side-sleeping in the fetal or fetal-stretched position, is is possible to side-sleep comfortably in teh Enos and Clarks?

Just curious.

Jim

Side Sleeper
I sleep exclusively on my side in my Clarks. The ENO is designed more like the Henessey where you sleep on a diagonal. I just isn’t as comfortable for me.

For a 6’3" I wouldn’t go with HH
I’m only 5’9" and it seemed the HH was pretty snug on me.

From what others are saying on this thread I may take a second look at the Clark. As pointed out, it’s still cheaper than a good tent. I paid more for my good tent that I never use than I’ve paid so far for a HH and a ENO both. Adding a Clark to my fleet might be a good idea. I no longer have the HH but I can always use the ENO as a guest bed:)

Actually I didn’t get the impress that the forums were dominated by HH hangers…most of the chat seems to be about DIY and DIC (doing it yourself and doing it cheap.

These hammocks really took off when thru hikers on the AT started using them, and HH was early in the game and put on a big booth at the annual hiker gatherings so they gobbled up a lot of the market share early on. That seems to be changing now there are several viable options available.