Here's a challenge,...

Lakes & Rivers Only
I currently live in Wisconsin, might be moving to Arkansas. All my paddling will be done on lakes & rivers, no ocean. I don’t know what the local lakes are like here in AR, but I know the nice calm ones in WI well.

OT Loon 138
I’m the same size as you and this boat has a large cockpit opening for easy entry. It is great all around boat-Very stable,paddles easy &virtually indestructable

FISHING K
hi I HAVE TWO KAYAKS I USE FOR FISHING I’D RECOMMED YOU

LOOK AT A HERITAGE THEY HAVE ONE BUILT FOR FISHING WITH ROD HOLDERS BULT IN THE PRICE IS GOOD THEY OPEN HAVE THE PEDDLES LIKE MOST AND THEY MAKE 2 SIZES IN THE FEATHERWEIGHT WHICH IS WHAT I HAVE ONE FOR SMALL LIGHT WEIGHT PEOPLE AND ONE FOR TALLER LIKE YA SELF. YOU SHOULD BE ABLE TO FIND THEM ON LINE AT HERITAGE.COM.

Go with a SOT
In my opinion, when purchasing a kayak you are investing in something that will serve you for many years, therefore, if you are on a budget and buying several boats to perform different duties is not a choice, then the most VERSATILE boat is the way to go.

I have no doubt whatsoever that an SOT is a far more friendly approach to kayak fishing; a good SOT will take you where you want and back, give you plenty of room for tackle and be very comfortable as well. If you fall off of it, climbing back is a simpler task than doing it even on the simplest recreation sit inside.

If you kayak often enough, capsizing is not a matter of if, but when. This is true to SOTs, sit insides, rec boat etc…so, it is wise to imagine, and be prepared for that occasion. When choosing a boat this possibility – and how to deal with it - should be weighted in as well.

Another point to consider is that the more time you spend in your boat the better paddler you become; therefore it is good to have a boat that allows you to grow and improve your performance as time goes by, without the severe limitations of the rec. boats. A good SOT is better than any recreational sit inside, regardless if you are fishing, touring, working-out, etc…

I own a 15’ Prowler and I love it, but it is on the heavy side, the Caper on the other hand is a sweet little boat that will give you years of reliability and satisfaction on the water (keep it out of the sun when not in use though, UV radiation is a plastic kayak killer).

Happy paddling

JB