high brace?

High brace and low brace
are part of a level 1 kayak course.

Just stay in the paddlers box and nothing bad will happen.

tideplay???
Tideplay are for real?? I have seen some really dumb things here and only read this stuff for a good laugh. Really?? Let go of the paddle?? Thats retarded. Try rotating the blade underwater it works way better than just letting go. Oh and yes I do surf, have alot of experience underwater ect, ect…

There are plenty of times
kayaking in whitewater when the paddle gets jammed in a rock crevice, or when one does an accidental “upstream brace” when sidesurfing in a hydraulic and the blade hits a rock with force.

In these situations the better part of valor is often to let go of the paddle with at least one hand and save your shoulder.

i think his point was…
While you want to keep your elbows close and such doing a high brace you still might have problems do to the force or just your own screw up. So you should be aware of your body and the forces on you and if you can’t correct the problem nicely your are better off letting go than injuring a shoulder. Normally letting go of just own hand is enough to release the injuring causing pressure though other forces may quickly grab the paddle then from the remaining hand. Don’t heroically work the brace to the point of injury.