high wind paddling -> CG rescue

ww or sea kayaker
is not the issue. either type of paddling can be fraught with poor decisions. And for what it’s worth white water kayaking typically takes twice as much edge and boat control as sea kayaking. I think the dangers are more subtle in how they present themselves. So the handling of the kayak unless, you are in a tidal race, or near cliffs or some other overt hazard is less critical. Where as on a river the hazards are typically a little more obvious. What do you think?

Where do you attach your leash?

– Last Updated: Nov-03-04 2:58 PM EST –

Paddling here in the Northeast I have found that paddle leashes are both in favor with certain BCU instructors and out of favor with others. Those that use them attach the leash to their PFDs, not their boat or wrist, using a Quick-release mechanism. As you have stated, they too do not use the leash in the surf zone. These paddlers also practice "swimming" with their paddles. It is surprising how fast you can swim if you do it right. However, it would not be fast enough to catch a kayak being carried away by a 30-40 knot wind. I think the best plan is to practice always holding-on to your boat if you exit.

Safe paddling,
Joe

It’s Hard To Judge W/O
really knowing the paddlers. Some things I think I can extrapolate in addition to what I already posted:

1. Definitely didn’t understand that sea kayaks will weatherhelm. It’s not something that white water boaters think about. Don’t know if his boat is outfitted with skeg or rudder.

2. For him to brace or roll on the “wrong side”. that could be inexperience with sea conditions, or even inexperience with white water. In white water, you always brace/roll into the foam/wave in the hole and not the upstream side. This is equivilent in a wave situation.

3. When you come out of a boat, in white water or sea kayaking, one of the rules is to hang onto the equipment/boat. Maybe less critical in white water since the current is sending the boat and paddler in the same direction, except in a hole. In strong winds on the ocean, boat will outspeed the swimmer. Chalk to inexperience?

4. I still don’t understand why the three didn’t stick together. If nothing else, the two upright should raft up and get the swimmer across the decks and call for help. They had cell phone and radio. The “leader” who sent the narrator off made a mistake there.

sing

It Can Go Either Way…
risk losing the boat and/or paddle with the leash. Risk entanglement by a leash. If you’re in a crappy situation, you can win/lose either way. You have to weight the risk based on what you know and have experienced.

I don’t use a paddle leash on my touring boat since I have a spare paddle secure on deck. If I were to wet exit, I am hanging onto the boat as the main priority. The feet hang that flatpick described works well, although one should still hang onto the coaming with one hand.

I do intend to begin using a short wrist to paddle leash in BIG surf. I have had my paddle stripped and that forced a swim. I’d much rather take my chances with staying in the boat and having the paddle attached to me and having a chance to roll, however many tries, than to exit the boat.

sing

the “life line” idea has been discussed
here before. Several experienced kayakers who primarly paddle solo in challenging conditions using SOTs and SOT inflatables have used leashes to attach themselves to their yaks in case they make unplanned exits in rough and windy conditions where losing your boat means you probably die.

Based on the response from some experienced SINK riders on this board it would seem to be the consensus that leashing yourself to your boat might be a viable alternative in some situations with SOT’s and SOT inflatables, but would pose something of a greater entanglement risk for the SINK paddler.

Leash for performing rescues…

– Last Updated: Nov-03-04 9:50 PM EST –

Sing,
I agree. The use of a leash can go either way. I was once opposed to leashes, until I meet a new group of paddling friends.
It is interesting to note that these paddlers use a leash for what I considered to be a 'unique' reason.
They do not use a leash primarily for retaining their paddle if they are forced to wet exit (most have excellent bracing and rolling skills). They attach the leash to their PFD with a quick-release mechansim and use it as a tool to aid in assisted rescues. This was demonstrated to me repeatedly in timed cold water rescue drills.

There are many variations of the basic T-rescue. My partners practice a version that is helpful in recovering larger paddlers and some of these gents go 260+ lbs. Once the swimmer's kayak is emptied, righted, and braced they come over the fore deck of the rescuer's boat and the aft deck of their own boat. To do this quickly the rescuer needs a clear deck and free hands. All they have to do is drop their tethered paddle in the water. They do not have to fumble around securing their blade. I have tried several non-tethered methods of stowing my paddle when performing this rescue. None are as quick or as clean as their tethered method. Once the swimmer has been safely returned to their cockpit, the rescuer simply pucks their paddle from the water. I certainly works for them. Using this method I have been the happy recipient of a sub 30 second deep water rescue in lumpy seas after I blew a roll.

Safe Paddling,
Joe

Makes some sense, would hand attach work
I can see the merit, althouth still has the potential to get wrapped up in during unexpected whomping of folloing sea. What do you all think of merit of attaching paddle to wrist with length of strech cord that can be removed if tangled instead of to boat.

No easy or perfect answers perhaps

PFD attached

– Last Updated: Nov-03-04 9:53 PM EST –

Sorry, I revised my post above. I had left out the explaination on how they attach the leash to their PFD, not the boat or wrist. This way the hands are free and the paddle comes with you in the event of an unexpected wet exit. They also practice swimming with their paddle, which if done right, is quite effective.

Joe

OK sounds good
Nice compromise and the practice of smart and quick recovery in actual conditions great way to really know what actually works best for each person.

Evolving Methods Based On Experience…

– Last Updated: Nov-04-04 5:03 AM EST –

May not apply to everyone but only to the person that's evolving the method.

While I have swam three times in surf now, none of these were due to blown rolls. Rather, twice I was sucked out of the boat by plunging waves and the last by having my paddle stripped.

So what methods did I evolved? I already mentioned that I added on a seat belt to my surf kayaks (thank goodness for an ocean cockpit in my SOF). I don't come out of the boat unless I want to. The problem now is that I find that my boat can get swamped when I tried launch because of the extra time to get the seat belt on and to situate the extra tight skirt. I have worked to improve the speed of getting myself situated but then I still occaisonally got my paddle washed away. Then I had to get out of the boat and retrieve the paddle and start all over again. So, I added on a short bungee leash that is attached to my pfd. On the end is a loop with a wooden ball. This wraps around the loom and ball goes through a tight stretched out loop and cinches in place. I don't have a problem these days with the paddle floating away while I get myself situated in the boat.

I have been taking more and more pics in the break zone when wave size is moderate, say 5' and under, and not closing out in plunging fashion (working my courage up for the bigger stuff). When I do this, I attach the leash back on to the paddle and hold it with one hand while I click the camera with the other. The camera is also double leashed (short tether) to my pfd and has only enough length to bring it to my face. I've been flipped several times now taking photos but the leash has not been tested because I have been able to maintain my one hand grip on the paddle and the other on the camera, let the wave pass and then roll up.

However, I don't keep the leash on when I am actually surfing. It's too short to accommodate those way out of the boat leans and rudders to carve and rip on the waves. I am not sure I want that leash any longer either. Thus my thinking now is to also use a short leash from paddle to wrist to prevent stripping when smacked down by a big wave.

I can see how the leash on the PFD would expedite an assisted rescue in a touring situation. Frankly, I find that one of things that slows me down is trying to stow the paddle when I come in for a rescue. I have big loops in my bow and stern area of the SOF to allow the paddle to be slid in quickly. But this isn't secure in a high wave situation and the paddle can wash out. So I still have to take the end of the paddle and stuff that under another deck line. With the pfd leash, I don't have to worry about securing the paddle on deck. I could probably speed up my time stowing the paddle but it is not something I practice alot on. I generally tour alone. So my practice and methods are more focused on staying in the boat and being comfortable in various stages of capsize and in different wave/wind situations. I am overwhelmingly more concerned about handling the conditions and being able to stay in the boat and keeping my paddle in rough conditions. For me, I think coming out of the boat -- in some paddles I have done alone -- may mean possible death.

I understand the equation changes for those who tour and believe in the adage of "never less than three." I am two short of that in terms of my partners and possibly in my mental capacity.

sing