Hiking instead of paddling - the winter season sets in

Went out for a ride as the nearby water is hard and it is blowing hard at the coast. Great views of Denali

@sing said:
The Charles…? Where/which town are you hiking? I am in one of Boston’s outer neighborhoods, about 2 miles from the Charles in Dedham.
Broadmoor Wildlife Sactuary in Natick - Just upstream from the dam in So. Natick.

I am totally locked in with frozen rain. Got about .5" ice covering my street and I live on the top of a hill. Won’t be able to get anywhere until the sanding truck makes another run. It last came by about 4 hours ago. Can’t imagine the land around the Charles even out in the western suburbs not being iced over with sleet and frozen rain right now.

There was ice along the shore, but even above the dam there was open water. Probably frozen now after a couple of days of single digit temp’s, but it is going to be in the 40’s with rain again on Wednesday and Thursday.

Looks like an indoor workout day today, followed by a night of watching the Patriots in the AFC finals…

What a game - GOAT.

@eckilson said:

@sing said:
The Charles…? Where/which town are you hiking? I am in one of Boston’s outer neighborhoods, about 2 miles from the Charles in Dedham.
Broadmoor Wildlife Sactuary in Natick - Just upstream from the dam in So. Natick.

I am totally locked in with frozen rain. Got about .5" ice covering my street and I live on the top of a hill. Won’t be able to get anywhere until the sanding truck makes another run. It last came by about 4 hours ago. Can’t imagine the land around the Charles even out in the western suburbs not being iced over with sleet and frozen rain right now.

There was ice along the shore, but even above the dam there was open water. Probably frozen now after a couple of days of single digit temp’s, but it is going to be in the 40’s with rain again on Wednesday and Thursday.

Looks like an indoor workout day today, followed by a night of watching the Patriots in the AFC finals…

What a game - GOAT.

It was. Hope he and the rest of the team can do it again.

@Chuck von Yamashita said:

Went out for a ride as the nearby water is hard and it is blowing hard at the coast. Great views of Denali

Nothing as scenic as that. Today was a challenging post nor’easter bike commute. With the sleet, frozen rain and a flash freeze after 5" inches of snow, I would probably have been better off with ice skates. But, studded snow tires on the winter bike made the commute possible as the bike path was mostly a sheet of ice and the street bike lanes were buried under plowed over snow, ice and slush. The normal ride of 45-50 minutes almost doubled.

It is southern New England, rain storm expected Thursday. The ice will be gone then.

sing